Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010

soulofmine is on a distinguished road
Greetings

Hello all,

Sailing has been part of my life for some time, though I still consider myself very new to sailing. As a young child, I remember sailing on my grandfather's boat (later my father's) to the point of complete fright. It was a 26' something?? Anytime the boat would heel over, I could only imagine it capsizing in the middle of the bay. Not fun at all. My father also owned a Thistle which he and my mother raced before my time. That was a bit more 'fun' though the whole capsizing thing was still very evident. I think the most comfortable I ever was on a boat was on our family Sunfish. haha.

Since then, those boats have been sold for various reasons, and sailing became a rather distant memory. About two years ago, my father purchased a Tartan 30, and though it has been out of the water as much as in since the purchase, I have thoroughly enjoyed the little time that we have spent on it so far. The fun has returned to sailing. We sail out of Florida's Pensacola Bay and he (we) has aspirations of eventually cruising around the Gulf, and perhaps further.

Though I do not own a boat, I would like to pretend that I one day will be so fortunate. I stumbled upon this website, and figured it would be a great access point for sailing information. I am eager to learn.

Have a great day. Peace.

p.s. Do they make boats that a tall guy like myself can fit in without developing an aching back?? I'm 6'3"-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Welcome and all that. Hope you do enjoy the site. Any probs just ask one of the mods. We are here to help. Some being more helpful than others but I try to at least be friendly.

Ref the height issue...I'm just in six foot and have always found that a bit of a problem, god help you at six three.

Their is another thread in hear somewhere about boats good for the overly tall, I'll try and find it for you but you can also try a search.

Trouble is with many boats that in the desire to fit a gallon into a pint container boat designers have tended to first skimp on berth length and foot space. Witness those boats with v-berths up front that extend all the way to the bow. Useless bloody things. Any v-berth that has not got enough tootsy wiggling space for two dozen is going to be a pain.

Then of course head room, particularly in head compartments is another area where the tall end up stooped.

I'm sure others will point you to boats with extra headroom. Good luck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulofmine View Post
Hello all,

Sailing has been part of my life for some time, though I still consider myself very new to sailing. As a young child, I remember sailing on my grandfather's boat (later my father's) to the point of complete fright. It was a 26' something?? Anytime the boat would heel over, I could only imagine it capsizing in the middle of the bay. Not fun at all. My father also owned a Thistle which he and my mother raced before my time. That was a bit more 'fun' though the whole capsizing thing was still very evident. I think the most comfortable I ever was on a boat was on our family Sunfish. haha.

Since then, those boats have been sold for various reasons, and sailing became a rather distant memory. About two years ago, my father purchased a Tartan 30, and though it has been out of the water as much as in since the purchase, I have thoroughly enjoyed the little time that we have spent on it so far. The fun has returned to sailing. We sail out of Florida's Pensacola Bay and he (we) has aspirations of eventually cruising around the Gulf, and perhaps further.

Though I do not own a boat, I would like to pretend that I one day will be so fortunate. I stumbled upon this website, and figured it would be a great access point for sailing information. I am eager to learn.

Have a great day. Peace.

p.s. Do they make boats that a tall guy like myself can fit in without developing an aching back?? I'm 6'3"-ish.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.