Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Hi!

New here. I was a motor boat guy with my dad for several years, once he passed away in November of 1988 I went away for a long while. I had not been in ANY boats until just last year when I picked up a kayak. I have been a kayaker every since and still am, I love it! Now, I have always been interested in sailing since I was a very young child, even long before I had lost my dad. I have never been sailing before nor have I ever been on a sailboat, not once. Early in 2002, I started eyeing out sailboats and wanted to get one. Well, I missed out on a couple of good deals and some things came up that ended up turning me away. One was a layoff from work because the projects I was working on were completed. Then I was out of work for a while before the next project started up then a couple more obstacles got in the way. So I ended up never getting one.

This year, while on craigslist looking for an outboard motor I came across a nice columbia 22 for sale. Nice price to say the least and from the pics it looked really good. I called the guy in the morning, boat was sold. Then I seen some more, one was a catalina 25, but they ended up getting sold too. I thought a sailboat would be online for sail for months before getting sold, not the case here. Anyway to make a long story short, I decided to pursue sailing again and see about getting a boat. Tomorrow I maybe picking up my first sailboat which is a Cal 25. So if I like it I will get it. I know very little about sailing other then a few online courses and videos I studied. I was looking into taking some sailing courses but hold on, those classes are expensive! I would rather put that money into a good used sailboat. If anyone here knows of some more affordable courses, please let me know and thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2010

Funsail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Funsail Send a message via AIM to Funsail Send a message via MSN to Funsail Send a message via Yahoo to Funsail
Welcome,
The best way to learn is go do it.
Old 02-06-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Where are you, maybe a sailnet member will help you out?
Old 02-06-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
I did get the boat today, I liked it a lot when I seen it in person. I attached some pics and I think it will be a good beginner boat. I got a very good deal on it, all the rigging looked good and sails were in good shape. It only needs some interior work, its in good shape but very bare, nothing more then a few boards to sit on and some padding. Kind of like a fishing boat type cabin but has a TON of potential to be very plush with minimal work involved. I put the tarp over it but it did not really need it, don't leak or anything just one of the boards are missing plus I had the tarp so why not use it. I am located in New Orleans, LA and where it is currently docked at, I need to have it out of there no later then monday. It would be nice if someone with experience could come with me but I have 2 friends coming but they have never sailed before. So I am going early tomorrow morning and sailing it across Lake Ponchartrain to the southshore where I will be getting a slip for it. Weather supposed to nice all day, a little on the cool side at mid 50s but only 5-8 mph winds. I am thinking it will take longer but should be easier with light winds for me to learn better.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi!-imag0034_3.jpg   Hi!-imag0035_3.jpg