SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello, all (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/62108-hello-all.html)

Knotaclu 02-17-2010 08:09 PM

Hello, all

As the name implies, I am somewhat new to sailing. Mind you, I'm not new to boats or the water. Just new to sailing. I have a great teacher who spent a fair part of his life racing sailboats.

So last year I bought a Grampian 23 that seems to be in fairly good condition. My teacher and I have been out on the Chesapeake, and I've already mastered several tough maneuvers (like the knockdown and the pirouette). In particular, I learned that I have a very shrill scream.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say hello to all my future buds and to let you know that if you see a G23 coming at you with an old guy screaming like a school girl, it may be best to just cut anchor and run. Steering and stopping are still a couple of my weak points.

SecondWindNC 02-17-2010 08:19 PM

:laugher

Nice!

And welcome!

smackdaddy 02-17-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knotaclu (Post 571143)
I learned that I have a very shrill scream.

Hey knota, welcome to SN dude. I too don't know what I'm doing and scream like a school girl when I'm doing pirouettes.

You'll like this place and will learn a hell of a lot.

Knotaclu 02-17-2010 09:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I've enjoyed SN as an eavesdropper for a while and look forward to getting in the mix. I don't really have a lot to offer, but maybe it would be good if I post my GPS coordinates from time to time. That might help save a lot of boats.

summitheart 02-17-2010 11:50 PM

another newbe

I haven't even been out on our boat yet.
I will let you know what my scream sounds like when I do.

Spent the last 8 months just checking on it from time to time, cleaning, fixing, winterizing, cleaning, fixing...
It is a 26 ft Rawson - and is a learner.

Looking forward to this summer - to LEARN to sail - it is the west coast of Canada that must be wary this summer.

I too am not a stranger to boats, 1st mate on a 40 passenger river boat for 2 summers, kayaking northern waters, SAR boat operator, even co-owned a 24ft trophy for a couple of years, but not a sailboat. Only ever been on a moving one 3 times (loved it).

Now it's my turn.

Cheers
Denise

Knotaclu 02-18-2010 05:51 PM

As a matter of fact, I have a Trophy 24 sitting on its trailer waiting for me to do something about the broken engine. Its going to have to wait a while longer.

Until I moved the sailboat about 30 miles up the bay to my dock, I had never ever been on a sailboat. But I gotta tell you, when things went right on the sailboat and we were shushing along with no sound but water under the hull, it was beautiful!

Best of luck to you, Denise!

Ernie