Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010

acceri is on a distinguished road
Trying to get it right

Its mine now. My friend owned a Pearson 10m 1974 ,hull 61, for just under 10 years. He introduced me to sailing . I retired and took a basic sailing course.He is passed now, and it is mine to care for. I am just a rookie and I want to do this right. He loved to spend time on his "yacht"..on the water,at the mooring or at the slip . He only recently began to teach me about winterizing and upkeep.

I have been reading all I can find on Pearsons , heads, electrical systems and atomic 4's. Now I am sure this is a much bigger task than I first imagined.

I already know the head needs work, the holding tank doesnt work (recirculating , I have descovered on sailnet), spark plug frozen in cyl #1, hatch leaks, bilge pump wired with lamp cord, a battery charge does exist. I am having a heck of a time tracing wiring and hoses. I spent hours looking for a seacock that delivers water to the head (there isnt any).

In any case, I believe before I invest much money I should
1) hire a boat surveyer to determine some things like;

a) condition of chain plates (early hulls may have a problem..I read on a post to sailnet)
b) condition of hull
c) seacock condition (I think the one I found for engine cooling has a gate valve
d)condition of engine

Any other big deal issues ?

I would like to change the holding tank,fix the head, change spark plugs,convert to electronic ignition,install a real bilge pump rather than a tiny submersable), reseat the hatch,fix sluggish transmission...
Since I have no experience with boats , I wonder why think I can do some of this myself.
Do you think a reality check is in order?

Last edited by acceri; 03-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
hey acc - welcome to SN dude. Don't get too overwhelmed. Your list sounds a lot like mine when I got into our C27.

It's just a matter of tackling one thing at a time. In my situation, I hit the stuff that would get me out on the water the quickest (engine, rigging, etc.). Then I moved the the "non-critical" items like the head, cushions, plumbing, wiring, etc.

As long as you're able to sail the boat while you're working - nothing is that big of a deal. Just prioritize it. And get help where you need it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-02-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
good source for atomic 4

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Powered by vBulletin
Old 03-02-2010

Thanks smack.. when I started listing all the things I didnt know enough about I wondered...But the sun is out and its almost 50..getting anxious to get out there..
BTY..what happened to your glasses?
Old 03-02-2010

Thanks Mac.. I have it bookmarked..hope I dont need it.
Old 03-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Somebody hit me. Like 30 or 40 times. Hang around the FightClub thread and you'll see what I mean. Good times.

Just ask the salts around here whatever you need. Post pics, etc. in the various threads (Gear & Maintenance, Atomic 4, etc.) and they'll help you with just about anything. Great guys.

Be safe and have fun. And keep that left hook ready.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.