Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010

acceri is on a distinguished road
Trying to get it right

Its mine now. My friend owned a Pearson 10m 1974 ,hull 61, for just under 10 years. He introduced me to sailing . I retired and took a basic sailing course.He is passed now, and it is mine to care for. I am just a rookie and I want to do this right. He loved to spend time on his "yacht"..on the water,at the mooring or at the slip . He only recently began to teach me about winterizing and upkeep.

I have been reading all I can find on Pearsons , heads, electrical systems and atomic 4's. Now I am sure this is a much bigger task than I first imagined.

I already know the head needs work, the holding tank doesnt work (recirculating , I have descovered on sailnet), spark plug frozen in cyl #1, hatch leaks, bilge pump wired with lamp cord, a battery charge does exist. I am having a heck of a time tracing wiring and hoses. I spent hours looking for a seacock that delivers water to the head (there isnt any).

In any case, I believe before I invest much money I should
1) hire a boat surveyer to determine some things like;

a) condition of chain plates (early hulls may have a problem..I read on a post to sailnet)
b) condition of hull
c) seacock condition (I think the one I found for engine cooling has a gate valve
d)condition of engine

Any other big deal issues ?

I would like to change the holding tank,fix the head, change spark plugs,convert to electronic ignition,install a real bilge pump rather than a tiny submersable), reseat the hatch,fix sluggish transmission...
Since I have no experience with boats , I wonder why think I can do some of this myself.
Do you think a reality check is in order?

Last edited by acceri; 03-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
hey acc - welcome to SN dude. Don't get too overwhelmed. Your list sounds a lot like mine when I got into our C27.

It's just a matter of tackling one thing at a time. In my situation, I hit the stuff that would get me out on the water the quickest (engine, rigging, etc.). Then I moved the the "non-critical" items like the head, cushions, plumbing, wiring, etc.

As long as you're able to sail the boat while you're working - nothing is that big of a deal. Just prioritize it. And get help where you need it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-02-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
good source for atomic 4

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Powered by vBulletin
Old 03-02-2010

Thanks smack.. when I started listing all the things I didnt know enough about I wondered...But the sun is out and its almost 50..getting anxious to get out there..
BTY..what happened to your glasses?
Old 03-02-2010

Thanks Mac.. I have it bookmarked..hope I dont need it.
Old 03-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Somebody hit me. Like 30 or 40 times. Hang around the FightClub thread and you'll see what I mean. Good times.

Just ask the salts around here whatever you need. Post pics, etc. in the various threads (Gear & Maintenance, Atomic 4, etc.) and they'll help you with just about anything. Great guys.

Be safe and have fun. And keep that left hook ready.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40