Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
Krozet,
FANTASTIC pictures !! I can only dream what you felt ! Perhaps this summer I might bump into you as I sail out of Port Stanley and planning to head to Toronto area this summer or where ever the wind takes me ! LOL
Scott
I lived in London for 3 years, spent A LOT of time in Port Stanley. Loved the beach parties! You live in a beautiful little piece of Canada!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard.
Old 03-22-2010

EdelbutnotIdle is on a distinguished road
Hey Ian, loved your write up about your trip. Very well done. I will have to post my first week long trip during my Learn to Sail course up in Georgian Bay. I also just bought my first sailboat, an Edel 540 which I plan on sailing in the Georgian Bay Regatta(5 days of Racing/Cruising) from Lions Head up to Tobermory and back down to Thornbury area this summer during the last week of July.

I was wondering if you, being local to Toronto, would know of any good used sailboat parts stores? I can find most stuff on Ebay or other sites but am still looking for odds and ends. Plus you can learn sooo much just looking and asking someone who's been around sailing.

Nice to see some locals on here from Toronto area since I live in Acton, and yes "It's worth the Drive!"
Old 03-22-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Welcome from the left coast!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
Old 03-23-2010

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Good to see more from Southern Ontario. There are quite a few here.

If you ever get bored of turning left on Lake Ontario ( motor out of marina, sail for a while, turn left sail for a while, turn left sail for a while turn left sail for a while, motor back into marina ) head up to Georgian Bay.

If you really enjoyed the Caribbean, you'll enjoy Georgian Bay cruising and anchoring out. Downside is the travel, upside is some of the best cruising grounds in this area and for the North Channel, the world.

Check out the Lake Huron forum for some good discusions on this area.

Also our trip to Killarney and the North Channel.

Old 03-23-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Good to see more from Southern Ontario. There are quite a few here.

If you ever get bored of turning left on Lake Ontario ( motor out of marina, sail for a while, turn left sail for a while, turn left sail for a while turn left sail for a while, motor back into marina ) head up to Georgian Bay.

If you really enjoyed the Caribbean, you'll enjoy Georgian Bay cruising and anchoring out. Downside is the travel, upside is some of the best cruising grounds in this area and for the North Channel, the world.

Check out the Lake Huron forum for some good discusions on this area.

Also our trip to Killarney and the North Channel.

The down side of sailing there is of course the mozzies are the size of gulls...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 03-23-2010

tsdenney is on a distinguished road
WOW - Scottbr.... Awesome pictures. We have our 32' in Port Credit (did that turning left thing on Lake Ontario - had fun visiting all the lovely marina's.) and are in the midst of planning to sail her to Georgian Bay this summer. Your pictures have gotten us all excited about our final destination!
Old 03-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
The down side of sailing there is of course the mozzies are the size of gulls...
You're absolutely right !!!! They're HUGE..... Please tell as many people that you can, not to come up here ........

Last edited by scottbr; 03-23-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdenney View Post
WOW - Scottbr.... Awesome pictures. We have our 32' in Port Credit (did that turning left thing on Lake Ontario - had fun visiting all the lovely marina's.) and are in the midst of planning to sail her to Georgian Bay this summer. Your pictures have gotten us all excited about our final destination!
Glad you liked them. We bought our boat out of Port Credit & Mason's is my favorite toy store.

If you need reccomendations on marinas to call home let me know, you would not be the first I've converted to the north.
Old 04-13-2010

ianhoar is on a distinguished road
Wow, sorry I missed all these posts, I thought the forum would notify me of replies. It was for awhile.

Anyway, Scottbr, it's interesting that you mention Georgian Bay. Last summer I went to Tobermory for a vacation. We went out to flowerpot island on the boat and did a lot of Hiking. I had wanted to take up sailing for years, but Tobermory was the catalyst. I've been told Georgian bay is harder to sail than the Caribbean though and really hard to anchor. How do you anchor? I mean the dropoff is insane in some areas.

I'll check out your Killarney photos, I'm hoping to go camping there in a few months.