Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryftuttle View Post
hi crazy,

i want to do this to. i dont have a boat yet, but am looking for one. florida sounds good because there economy was so bad everyone is selling there stuff. i am going to use my iphone to navigate bacause it has gps bilt in.
I might be way behind on the new tech. Does your iphone have charts built in? If so cool. But just knowing your Lat and Lon is of little use unless you have paper charts and the TIME to plot your location or your position superimposed on a chart. Sorry for the hijack. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You say that so easily. There's nothing wrong with taking risk. Except you will most likely be pushing the easy button when the poo hits the fan. Only because you don't have the skill yet. You may get lucky, and make it home unscathed, but the odds are against it. It happens all too often.

Possibly you should take some lessons. Join the boat, and enjoy southern Florida for what it has to offer, and that is plenty. Get some miles under your keel, and then venture off. The Bahamas are a short distance, and an easy sail. Not to mention beautiful. TOO many people underestimate the Great Lakes. They can be much more wicked than an open ocean. BEST WISHES in your adventure. There is risk, and then there is calculated risk. Which one will you be taking?. I type this out of concern, and not to rain on your parade.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2010

Crazy is on a distinguished road
Thanks Caleb. Fact is, once I leave here I won't have internet access. Chartbooks and GPS handheld is my plan. I found a new site: NOAA's nowCOAST for weather. Check it out!
Old 03-24-2010

Crazy: Map Tech charts and a handheld with Blue water charts on it have worked well for me. If you do get internet try this site PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers for any off shore runs along with the others suggested. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by marianclaire; 03-24-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
From an on a budget person to another on a budget person:

An inexpensive netbook with give you some internet access on a budget price.

As for surveying, unless where you keep her doesn't require insurance, you may have to fork out the dough anyway. On a 30' boat it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg and certainly less than most anything you'll have to get to get her in shape anyway. Assuming she needs more than Lysol, of course.

Find a good surveyor who'll happily tell you what he/she is doing and why and what the results mean and/or how to address them and that $300 or so bucks becomes a great and thorough introduction to your new purchase, even if she was cheap to begin with.

Good luck with your adventure!

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 03-24-2010

Crazy is on a distinguished road
i2f- I don't intend to come across that way. I see risk as a fact of life. And I just hope there is an easy button within reach at the time. I went on a charter fishing trip on Lake Michigan once. A storm blew in- 10' waves, etc. I must respect the Great Lakes. But technology is wonderful. I can easily keep a close eye on the weather and head for port- or don't leave it in the first place.
I do intend to buy a laptop and an 'air card' to have comm and info. My sticking point is that I wish for video- larger screen and a video card. Which relates to price.
I do have some mechanical ability. I actually built a chopper like ya see on TV. Before they made a TV show about it lol. Rode it for 17 yrs too.
This boat is a challenge as well as a dream. I am not bound by my intentions. If necessary I can find a boatyard where I can put her on the hard and work on her myself. It would be a drudge but also interesting. And be ready to make the cruise next year.
Old 03-25-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
White squall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not all weather is predictable, and some even though there is warning you can't get out of the way. I have been sailing my own boats for 20 years with 14k miles of cruising. To this day I consider myself a newbie.

Not all sailing is a slick magazine cover. There can be days of rough weather, and at times it can keep you from making port. Do your reasearch, so you can be better prepared. Whereever the boat is. Take the time to hone your skills. Lessons aren't cheap, but they are hundreds of times worth the cost.

Many teach themselves to sail, and for some it works. Mostly it leads to mishap. I have seen guys get drug away from the beach in the breakers by the C.G. I have seen guys do stupid stuff that sends them to the hospital. Some have never seen a whitecap, but think they can sail. Hell, anybody can out there, and flounder around on a day with no whitecaps.

Cruising is a wonderful dream, and I encourage it to those with a wandering spirit. I have also seen those not prepared to leave thier boats in some far away port with the boat for sale, and broken dreams. Marriages torn apart, , boats abandonded , or injuries.

Once again I am not trying to rain on your parade. I am just throwing in some reality, so you can keep a more opened mind to your approach. Like someone here typed. It's not rocket science to learn to sail, but in my mind it does deserve preperation. BESTWISHES in being succesful in your goal!.. ....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-25-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
For those who are curious, you can buy a chartlogging app for the iPhone. It's amazing, even shows bottom contours and was quite accurate. NiteFly brought his along when I took him out a few weeks ago.

That said, what will you do when it's pouring rain or taking waves? I don't think the iPhone is weather-proof. A hand-held Garmin GPS is cheap and weather-proof. I understand that you're on a budget- we all are, but cheaping out will get you injured, stranded, broke or all three.

The Easy Button- consider buying a towing service contract in case you get stranded. It's akin to AAA on the water and will save you THOUSANDS in towing costs if you run out of fuel, blow a sail, or bury your keel in the mud.

i2f- "mostly it leads to mishap"? Really? I don't at all doubt what you have seen but I am unsure that those unfortunates that you've seen comprise the bulk of people who choose to teach themselves how to sail.

Crazy- You're not crazy. Ask around in Illinois or down in the area of your boat for experienced sailors willing to come aboard to crew/teach you, and offer yourself up as crew also. Many folks will take you on for lessons for only a bottle of their favorite libation. I expect to be sailing with experienced racers this weekend myself. Read, read, and read some more. If you have Netflix and you're burned out on books, rent The Annapolis Book of Seamanship video series.

There are some folks here that like to tow around their little "cloud of doom" with them, but i2f is right. No matter what forecast you see on the laptop, no matter if you have the VHF weather feed on constantly, you are going to get smacked with a squall, a gust or a wave that isn't predicted. You've got to have your head on a swivel and constantly be prepared.

From one DIY'er, to another.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
For those who are curious, you can buy a chartlogging app for the iPhone. It's amazing, even shows bottom contours and was quite accurate. NiteFly brought his along when I took him out a few weeks ago.

Thanks. I should have known they have apps for everything. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by Faster; 03-25-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: fixed "quote"
Old 03-25-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Go for it!

Now, if I could only get that damn Seal song out of my head.