Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010

Crazy is on a distinguished road
Yes I planned on finding someone to go out sailing with- a few times at least. This having been my dream for so long I have read many books. Since the internet became available I have done many searches and read much. From boom vangs to sacrificial anodes to....who knows what. I can't bring it up but when I think of a particular situation there it is. Sea anchors, lying ahull, etc,etc,etc. I've been a reader anyway so I just applied that to this field. That is how I came to settle on a modified full keel hull as my preferred one. A Cape Dory or Bristol for instance. And those as the quality brands.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Being self taught is one thing, but jumping out in the ocean to learn mostly leads to mishap. bubblehead are you self taught? If so how many ocean miles do you have? If so did you jump right into something like crazy proposes, or did, and have you stayed close to your marina. Taken some small knocks while learning.

Take Bumfuzzle as an example. They knew nothing, and jumped into the ocean. I am not saying it can't be done. I am saying it's prudent to know how to sail first. They don't put jet pilots in the seat of a jet on the first day do they......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2010

I believe I know how to sail. But what gave u the impression I'm going offshore? I'm cruising the ICW up to the Hudson to the Erie Canal to Lake Erie and only then going out into big water. B4 then I'll do some sailing. The N. Carolina Sounds, Chesepeake Bay, the Hudson. Well maybe not the Hudson- upstream as it is. I'll be on a easy travel pace and take time to actually sail. Maybe stop by the Bristol Club in the Bay. Somewhere along there I'll spend a day or 4 sailing with others- either their boat or mine.
Old 03-25-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Hey Crazy, Welcome!

I did almost the same thing, I bought a Contest 33 off ebay last fall and will be sailing it back to Canada in 2 months. I did take my ASA 101,103 & 104 courses and feel comfortable with my boat in the Cheasapeak, Deleware, Hudson, Erie Canal and Lake Ontario. I am NOT looking forward to the Atlantic...

Just have a plan, a backup plan and a list of emergency marina's and you will be fine. I head down to do my refit and launch in 21 day. Then back to Canada for 2 weeks, then the big trip starts in early May.

Can I ask, what is your disability? Sailing comes with it's mental and physical challenges, some days more and rum days none.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 03-25-2010

I have a lung disease called COPD. But as long as I take my inhalation meds and not get too active I'm ok. But I'll be 57 in June- I don't get too active anyway lol. Doc says theres a 50/50 chance I'll die of old age b4 this gets me.
Old 03-26-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
They maybe named the Great Lakes, but they are more akin to an ocean, and at times worse. They can split freighters in half, and sink them. Your own words led me to believe you would be doing the equivilant of ocean sailing.

I was under the impression many new members came here to reap the rewards of experience. What I am finding is that some show up with large plans, and minute knowledge. Unfortunately some want to debate the advice given to them. Learning by trial, and error is the hard way to gain knowledge. Look at bubbleheads new thread about his new main. If you don't have a mentor then lessons drastically reduce the steepness of the learning curve. The steeper the curve the more likely of injury to body, and boat. I will add good luck on your trip. Sounds like you may need some. .......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-26-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
One um...facet of mining all this experience, is that you have to filter it. You ask a question and you get 50 answers. Not all of them are right, or appropriate to the circumstances of the question. Not only that, there are often many appropriate solutions to a single problem. Not all 50 answers should be taken as gospel.

Different experienced sailors have different comfort zones and so, offer varying degrees of caution.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-01-2010

THE DAY is rapidly approaching.... Until I can get aboard and inspect/explore I am limited in what I can do. First of all I think I'm foolish to think a 37 yr old boat will be ready for any extended cruising- inshore or not. Waiting a year, fixing/maintaining and learning is much more likely- and wise. I can also explore navigation- there being nothing but a binnacle compass on board. I read about handheld GPS being the way to go. Chartbooks, etc. But those chartbooks and the SD chips for a handheld are expensive. On the other hand I'll want a laptop- or at least a netbook aboard and NOAA charts can be downloaded for free. With a GPS card wouldn't it be a viable alternative? I could also have a handheld GPS unit but only have the base map- details on the laptop. What do y'all think?
Old 04-01-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Crazy, if you want to get some sea time under your belt on a boat on Lake Erie, feel free to hit me up. New crew is always welcome.
Old 04-02-2010

Thanks bljones but that can't happen. I have things to do and my flight is on the 10th. I am curious about what people have to say about the GPS idea tho. All the charts, etc cost as much as a laptop.