Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010

Crazy is on a distinguished road
Crazy is as crazy does

I have dreamed of sailing and cruising for.....a looooooong time. I am now retired and on disability and living with my daughter. I am normally the furthest one from Crazy, but a few days ago I bid on a sailboat on ebay- and won. Now understand, tho I've dreamed of it I haven't actually done much sailing. A day or 2 on a 24' trailerable 20 yrs ago and a couple days in a 12' plywood pram type 30+yrs ago. So, obviously I am Crazy. Oh BTW the boat is a Bristol 30. Full keel, shoal draft, centerboard. And a 30 hp Yanmar diesel. Some research says the 30 only came with an Atomic 4 so someone upgraded her. She is reputedly in very good condition. I did not have her surveyed- there was no time, and the financial risk isn't terribly high. The craziest part? I live in Illinois- she is in Florida. My dream has been to cruise the ICW, the Erie Canal and the Great Lakes. So thats the plan- to bring her up to Chicago via that route.
I do not reveal my actual location so the guys with the funny coats can't find me.
Many many many questions. First- do I really need to buy 20+ charts at $20.75 each? OMG!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
You can probably buy chartbooks that will cover the trip and save some money. You should get a gps with charts in it, a heandheld will do. Be careful and have fun. Those Bristols are handsome, with a reputation for strength.
Old 03-24-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Buying a boat while living in Illinois with the plan to bring her home one-day is not crazy. Buying a boat in Florida while living in Illinois and never having seen or been on board the boat, well that is a little different. But, you bought a boat with a fine reputation, that is a good thing. If it were me, I would plan on relocating to wherever the boat is for a few months as I refit.

Yes, Wandering Star is correct. Probably get by with Chart Books, Cruising Guides, and a plotter. But it would not hurt to have some better charts of some of the approaches and inlets on the Eastern Seaboard. For the Great Lakes, I have always gotten away with Chart Books.

Let me know when you’re ready to come north and if you will need any help. I might just be available as a voluntary crew. (We sail Lake Michigan and live in Northwest Indiana.) Good luck.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-24-2010
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Crazy,
Agree with Wandering Star and sailortjk1, but would add that even though Bristol makes very good boats, it would still be a good idea to have her surveyed once you're donw there. That will give you a good idea of what you need to do nefore you take her out. Also it might be a good idea to take some sailing courses either where you are or in Florida.
Welcome aboard and good luck
Old 03-24-2010

Thanks for the replies. Frankly I expected to be inundated with strong suggestions to take classes. Good advice of course. A survey has occurred to me but being on disability finances are constricting. I thought if I could buy a boat it would be a 26' Pearson or a 27' Catalina- outboard powered. Something like that. So a Bristol is a step up. All this time I have also been doing some research so formed some opinions and preferences.
My tentative plan is to spend the first day or 2 with Lysol, scrub brush and sponge. At the same time inspecting all the nooks and crannies. And proceed based on what I find. Timewise, I hope to be able to depart by mid- May. Its 2000+ miles on this route- 40 days at 50 miles per. And I'm not gonna be in a hurry. Stop and smell the roses pace. If I make Chicago on Labor Day thats just fine. I'll decide then if I'll put her on the hard for the winter or go south via Mississippi-Tennessee R-Tenn/Tom-Mobile.
Sailortjk1 I really appreciate your offer. Ya got all summer?
Old 03-24-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
It's probably cheaper, and safer to truck the boat home. I type that taking into consideration your situation.... ....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2010
Banned

harryftuttle is on a distinguished road
hi crazy,

i want to do this to. i dont have a boat yet, but am looking for one. florida sounds good because there economy was so bad everyone is selling there stuff. i am going to use my iphone to navigate bacause it has gps bilt in.
Old 03-24-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the LOONEY bin Crazy, I see your dues are paid, Take a seat where ever ya want, and enjoy your ride!

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 03-24-2010

i2f- Safer? It would be safer to never walk out the door in the morning. Life is a never ending series of risks. As for cheaper idk, transport is quite expensive. But all that misses the point. My dream is to cruise the boat. That is the objective of buying it. The fact it is so far away is a bonus. The 'safer' choice will come after I have examined the boat. Can I depart on my schedule or must I perform some necessary repair(s)?
Old 03-24-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hats off to you Crazy! Welcome to the asylum. Live the dream.
There is a lot of free information you will benefit from on the web during your trip up the coast. Download coastal pilot manuals #2 - 4 here: United States Coast Pilot®
As for charts, have a look at this: NOAA BookletCharts
and this: GeoGarage - Route Preparation
For weather, sea state and planning check out the charts here: Radiofax Charts - Boston
Real time sea state conditions are available from buoys: NDBC - Northeast USA Recent Marine Data
NOAA also has real time radar maps for the whole country.
Give a shout when you get up to NYC.
Have fun!

Everybody has one: