SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Long term cruising (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/63237-long-term-cruising.html)

BruceBarnes 03-25-2010 02:32 PM

Long term cruising

I am planning on selling everything and doing the whole permanent cruising thing. I have a budget of 250k for the boat. Is that enough for a good all around cruising boat? I would like to start my cruise through the Bahamas and Caribbean to get my feet wet. Then I would like to cross the pond and spend a year in the Mediterranean, and who knows after that. I have mostly sailed Monohulls, except for goofing around on Hobie 16s. The idea of a cat is interesting for all the space it affords. Then again, the idea of a boat that could flip and stay flipped is not that appealing. I am fairly open to different ideas, the requirements are safe, spacious, blue water boat. Suggestions?

CaptainForce 03-25-2010 02:44 PM

The concern over "turning-turtle" on the multihull is, in my opinion, over emphasized; however, a more frequent problem with the multihulls is their inability to perform as designed with the added weight of store and tankage for distance cruising. 'just another consideration. There are many solid bluewater boats that can be had for well under 250K. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

hellosailor 03-25-2010 03:06 PM

Well, I'd suggest spending the first $500 on some good books on seaworthiness ("Seaworthiness the Forgotten Factor; Fasnet Force10) and disasters caused by the lack of it, along with similar topics so you can see what the pros have to suggest in terms of boats that either won't flip, or will recover politely from flipping.

Along with spending some time looking at older threads, here and elsewhere, with titles like "Good first cruising boat??" where folks have asked these many questions and spent many hours discussing them.

1/4mil is plenty of budget, but unless it is pocket change for you, it is research that will be the most valuable investment you can make.

Cruisingdad 03-26-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBarnes (Post 585185)
I am planning on selling everything and doing the whole permanent cruising thing. I have a budget of 250k for the boat. Is that enough for a good all around cruising boat? I would like to start my cruise through the Bahamas and Caribbean to get my feet wet. Then I would like to cross the pond and spend a year in the Mediterranean, and who knows after that. I have mostly sailed Monohulls, except for goofing around on Hobie 16s. The idea of a cat is interesting for all the space it affords. Then again, the idea of a boat that could flip and stay flipped is not that appealing. I am fairly open to different ideas, the requirements are safe, spacious, blue water boat. Suggestions?

That is basically what we did.

The issue with cats in my opinion is the slapping on the bridge, as mentioned above their slower performance due to cruising-weight, but more importatly their inability to get a slip in the more desirable areas. Where slips are a premium, you may find it hard to find a place to put that thing. However, I would give a cat serious consideration.

What would be a good monohull is a heck of a long discussion. I would emphasize comfort at anchor... but comfort is a different thing for different people. If you want to discuss how many of you will be going (wife? Kids?) we might have some suggestions. It has to be an exciting time for you! It was/is for us!

Brian