Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010

svone100 is on a distinguished road
Buying a boat in Bahamas & Sailing to Ozz

Hi everybody
I'm thinking of buying a cat in the Baharmas and sailing there for a couple of months then sailing home to Australia.
But I have a few questions
what ime of year is it best to sail there?
are there any problems with getting though the panama canal?
are there any prevailing winds going in the right direction at particular time of year?
That'll do for a start
Laurie
Old 03-29-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Hurricane season is Jun 1 to Nov 30, prime time is Aug, Sep, Oct.
Insurance rates will be higher if you are there during the 'season'.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010

Thanks any info is aprieciated.
Old 03-30-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Prevailing winds are SE I think. Should be a reach to Central America. But you want a lot of preparation and experience before you cross oceans, even seas. There are sailing guides for the worlds oceans with route and timing recommendations.
Old 04-02-2010

acruise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Hurricane season is Jun 1 to Nov 30, prime time is Aug, Sep, Oct.
Insurance rates will be higher if you are there during the 'season'.
hey
I am agree with you prime time is august to November but you are required for a sailing guide with out any experience & sailing guide it may be dangerous.

Regards
Dan hos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
The Atlantic hurricane season and the Pacific typhoon season are at opposite times of the year, thus your window of opportunity for going from the northern to the southern hemispheres is pretty small and twice a year. One of these windows for going from the Caribbean to the Pacific is now until June. The best book for planning purposes is Jimmy Cornells "World Cruising Routes", which I've been using to plan passages.
It is a long way from Panama past the Galapagos to French Polynesia and even then you are just halfway there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-07-2010

svone100

Thanks for the advice so far I have sailed from Brisbane Australia to the whitsundays and back and spent a couple of years sailing around the whitsunday island group on my 36ft roberts. I have been working as deckhand on tourist boats up there as well and I have a coxswain certificate not a complete novice but learning all the time. But getting advice from sailers with more experiance is good. I'll keep redding the posts here Thanks
Laurie
Old 04-07-2010

Great, then you know what to do. Your first post contained only questions, so of course I didn't know your experience. Many dreamers post here, often something like: "I've never been sailing, but I want to go around the world..."
Old 04-11-2010

CocoPutot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Great, then you know what to do. Your first post contained only questions, so of course I didn't know your experience. Many dreamers post here, often something like: "I've never been sailing, but I want to go around the world..."
People, unlike mules, have the ability to learn new things that they have no natural talent for. Many "dreamers", as you put it, do fail in their initial goal of "going around the world" thanks in no small part to your enthusiastic reinforcement. As a leader, one has to enable those in his charge, provide positive feedback and as best they can see their goals as they do. As a member here you should be considerate to everyone, even those people who dare to dream. Your comments were not directed at anyone in particular but they do strike me as asinine.

I hope I never meet you on the water after I spend thousands of hours learning what I need to know to attain my goal only to have you dismantle my dreams because I dared to dream.
Old 04-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPutot View Post
People, unlike mules, have the ability to learn new things that they have no natural talent for. Many "dreamers", as you put it, do fail in their initial goal of "going around the world" thanks in no small part to your enthusiastic reinforcement. As a leader, one has to enable those in his charge, provide positive feedback and as best they can see their goals as they do. As a member here you should be considerate to everyone, even those people who dare to dream. Your comments were not directed at anyone in particular but they do strike me as asinine.

I hope I never meet you on the water after I spend thousands of hours learning what I need to know to attain my goal only to have you dismantle my dreams because I dared to dream.
You're damn right you hope you never meet me. I have little tolerance for righteous fools.