SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Transporting/trucking sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/63611-transporting-trucking-sailboat.html)

WTPW 04-07-2010 01:53 PM

Transporting/trucking sailboat

We need to have our sailboat trucked from Florida to Tacoma, Washington the first part of June and need help finding reliable companies that do this. Any information would be helpful at this point...ie costs, insurance, etc...

tager 04-07-2010 03:54 PM

Are you sure? That is going to be really expensive. What are your dimensions? draft+freeboard, mast length, loa, lod, full or fin keel? Etc.

doubleeboy 04-07-2010 04:15 PM

Our boat came from Marblehead MA to Seattle in Dec 08. Fuel prices were about the same then as now. $10K for a 39' boat 12.5' beam 15,400 lbs. This was thru an independent hauler. Just a rough idea for you.

michael

jrd22 04-07-2010 04:43 PM

I just got quotes for a 41' LOA sailboat from Oriental,NC to Anacortes, WA. The average was just over 10K but some were in the 8 - 9K range. I was most impressed with Dudley Boat Transport out of Tacoma (no affiliation).

Freesail99 04-07-2010 05:29 PM

My personal experience with boat transporters is that even with a signed contract that they try and get an extra $500 from you on delivery. My move was less then 700 miles. Be careful.

WTPW 04-07-2010 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the info. We may take it right to Vancouver Island.
LOA 46.5
Beam 12.7
weight 26000

Freesail99 04-07-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTPW (Post 590228)
Thanks for all the info. We may take it right to Vancouver Island.
LOA 46.5
Beam 12.7
weight 26000

The beam of the boat may require special permits and in some states you may not even be able to get them. Please doubt check.

morgan0505 04-07-2010 07:37 PM

If I were you, I would look into hiring a captain to bring the boat around. Sailboats are not really meant to be on trucks over roads.

If you must truck, make sure that:
the price includes de-commissioning the boat (un-stepping the mast, etc.) and getting it packed up, ready to ship and loaded on the truck;
whoever is doing this is competent;
have a complete inventory of what is supposed to be on the boat when it leaves FL
know what it will cost you to re-commission the boat when it gets to WA
be there when it arrives with your list of what was supposed to be on the boat and check it before you let the trucking company "off the hook"

I've read multiple cases of mis-steps on each of these issues, of course, along with many more who have had good experiences.

Good Luck!

jrd22 04-07-2010 08:58 PM

It's a lot of work to get a boat ready to truck and you should do as much of it yourself as possible so you know it's done right. Anything you don't want road grit in you should cover in shipping plastic wrap (winches, windlass, clutches, etc). EVERYTHING that can move inside the boat should be wrapped and padded and secured. All the standing rigging should come off the mast and then be wrapped, and the mast itself (and the running rigging if you don't remove it from the mast) should be completely wrapped and padded with bubble wrap and then padded with carpet rems where it is going to be supported on the trailer. You will probably need to remove the bow pulpit and some stanchions to stay under the max. height limit. It took two of us four long days to do everything, including unstepping the mast. Putting it all back together takes longer :eek: .

tager 04-07-2010 09:47 PM

I highly doubt that hiring a captain to bring her around would be cheaper than trucking. However, it may make sense to ship her around. There is a company that drydocks yachts, and ships them to another port, then floods the drydock.

Interesting idea, not sure about prices.

You might do well to sell the boat and buy another, if it is under 35.