Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010

jordansname is on a distinguished road
Oregonian Here!

Hello,
My name is Jordan. Currently typing this post from a friends pad in Philadelphia. I've been on the road since last august, traveling across the united states. First in a jeep wagoneer and now a chevy venture. I started in Oregon, made it down to the keys, and now here in philly. I'm getting ready to swap my wheels for some sails, and have been hunting craigslist here on the east coast for project boats. I do have an online blog, with videos documenting my daily travels across the US, not sure if this is the place to post a link to my website? My trips unique in that i'm a paraplegic from a snowboarding accident i suffered about 10 years ago. I had never even thought of sailing until about 5 years after my accident while living in san diego. I got a real bad itch to be out on the ocean, did some reading, and bought a 25' coronado. Ended up living on the boat for 6 months and sailing solo to catalina island. I became tired of living in san diego, but remained addicted to sailing after leaving california. I went home to Oregon for about 6 months and could not stop dreaming of sailing. Hence my road trip to jump start a solo cruising expedition. I've been able to put together a meager few thousand dollars selling my photographs on the streets as I travel and would like to purchase a project sailboat. Tomorrow I leave philly and head up the east coast in search of the right sailboat. Any advice, hints, location info, boat yards to stop at, or fellow stories would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Jordan,

Where are you from in Oregon? Your story sounds very familiar. Medford area?

I ran across a very entertaining blog the other day of a wheelchair bound fellow in Florida who is rekindling his love of sailing. He has recently taken delivery of a new boat and is blogging about his experiences. It is a good read for all, but maybe especially for someone with similar challenges. It can be found here.

BTW, Dan (sailingdog) is a great resource around Buzzards Bay. He'll not steer you wrong. He does bite, however, so be careful.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy

Last edited by Izzy1414; 04-11-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2010

Hey Izzy,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I am from medford. My accident was on Mt. Ashland. Lucky guess for you? The blog you linked to was a good read, i'll definitely find some ideas there for my own blog. I have been exchanging post with sailingdog in the "purchase" forum, he's recommending buzzards bay, we'll see if I run into any biting dogs that sail when i get up there.
Old 04-11-2010
..........huh?..

Jordan,

Not so much a guess. Your story sounded too familiar to be coincidence. We have friends (the Melgrens) in common. My daughter and Kristine have been fast friends since the first grade I think. Post a link to your blog in your signature. I would love to read it.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 04-11-2010

Izzy,
Crazy, I'm good friends with Kristine. We used to hang out a few nights a week when I last lived in medford. My mom is still great friends with mary. I think I added my link to the signature, not sure how it works? Most all my blogging to date has been done via video logs posted to my youtube account which is linked to from my website. There's even some footage of my early sailing experiences on my coronado 25 out of san diego. What part of oregon do you sail? I spent a day on klamath lake in a rented catalina 25, lake is like a small sea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2010
..........huh?..

Nice blog Jordan. You look like a hard guy to keep up with! Yeah, it's a crazy world, sometimes big as the Pacific Ocean, sometimes as small as a little neighborhood like Sailnet, where you can run into a dear friend of a dear friend on any given afternoon, even 3000 miles apart. It really is a good time to be alive, huh? I'll have to tell Kristine I ran into you. I just sparred a little with her this morning on FB, kidding one another about the old days. She is one of my most favorite people in this whole crazy world. Anyway, we have found ourselves alternating our sailing from year to year between Howard Prairie here in the Southern Oregon Cascades and Fern Ridge Lake near Eugene, where our kids live. I have spent time on Klamath Lake, but not sailing. Yes, it is a big lake, with big bugs to match. Let's keep in touch and when ya get back in this neck of the woods, come sailing with me, OK?

Regards,
Doug

Old 04-11-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Aboard

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 04-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Welcome Aboard
thank ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2010

Doug,
Glad we connected, tell Kristine hey from me, and I'll definitely take you up on the offer to sail next time I'm home.