Hola from LI, NY!! - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2010 Thread Starter
Banned

Hola from LI, NY!!

Hi all! I am a power boat owner but sailor at heart. I found a 1968 Seafarer 23 Sloop today in good condition but needing much TLC and am seriously considering it as my first sailboat. Any thoughts/suggestions? Glad to be a part of the forum and thanks for taking the time to respond!!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2010

Welcome and TLC can kill your JOY pretty fast if it goes beyond some serious cleaning

Without having a survey what looks like a minor brown spot can be a big problem in a boat that age

My current case of TLC will take about 18 months

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2010 Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the prompt response! I know exactly what you mean. I have owned 3 power boats and only my most recent (2003 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee) has not needed "TLC" and has proven to be the best choice by far! I have virtually no budget for a sailboat and am very handy and am an experienced fiberglass guy so that I am not afraid of. There are no soft spots on this boat at all. I am having the marina mechanic inspecting it this weekend to see if she gets the green light. At this point I am more interested in finding the right sailboat manufacturer and size for us. I have heard nothing but great things of the Seafarer. Any input on this particular boat would be great!
post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2010

Your way ahead of the game in that you know of the wood rot issues that go with boats

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2010 Thread Starter
Banned

I have inspected well over 20 boats in the last 2 years so yeah, unfortunatley I know how prevelant this is. I plan on spending a good day on board this '68 23 getting to know her. Everything I have read points to this being the right boat for me and my family. Very well built, large heavy balast for good stability, good interior headroom, and pretty lines. The boat has sat for 3 years at the mooring with no use other than beaching her for a bottom paint each year. There are bound to be some issues for sure but good bones are what's most important for me. She originally had a 4.5 outboard but I worked the deal to include a freshly rebuilt 9.9 Evenrude. I am good with my hands but not with mechanics so this was important for me. She is a solid 2 day trip back to home port in Mt. Sinai Horbor from her current location in the Peconic. I have never sailed so this is a bit of a concern to me. My Rinker is also in the Peconic so I am considering following her with the Rinker if all works out and making a nice weekend out of it.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2010

If you want help delivering the boat I may be available. I've sailed many years and keep a boat in Mt Sinai now. Even if I were aboard one day might be helpful. It depends on our schedules, of course. You might also consider towing the boat yourself if you have doubts about sailing her. For sure we'll see eachother this summer.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2010 Thread Starter
Banned

Awesome. Thanks for the reply WanderingStar!!
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2010

Send a message via MSN to kumgang
Hola Nogin! Welcome, and thanks for sharing your experience.
regards
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2010 Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks kumgang!! Great to be a part of the community!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.