Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Howdy - new guy to SailNet

Hello all. The forum title said "Introduce Yourself," so here I am introducing myself.

My name is Bill, I live in Richmond (actually far western Henrico County), Virginia, USA, with my wife and two daughters (ages 12 and 16).

As far as my boating history, it's almost exclusively been on power boats. When I was about 5 years old, my dad bought a used cuddy cabin cruiser and we created a lot of really great memories on that little motor boat. The most memorable trip being when I was about 9 or 10 years old, and my dad, my sister and I spent two weeks living on the boat on the Chesapeake Bay. We cruised and explored all over the place, did a lot of fishing and swimming and crabbing.

When I was in my 20s, my dad bought a nice 37-foot Cheoy Lee trawler with twin Volvo Penta diesels, and we did a couple really great trips cruising up and down portions of the ICW in SC, GA and FL.

I currently do not own a boat, but that will be rectified within the next month or two. I've been totally jonesing for a boat and to get back out on the water for a couple years now. I've been hanging out at the Wooden Boat forum for a while, and I plan on eventually building a boat of some sort. I am a hardcore do-it-yourselfer and have a very full (too full) woodworking shop behind my house. I am an avid antique woodworking tool user, buyer and seller and also have some blacksmithing tools and small knowledge of that as well. As an old man I once knew said, "I have more tools than brains." Lucky for me, I have plenty of both!

My day job, which I engage in primarily to fund my tool habit (and now my developing boat habit), is as an environmental attorney with a large, international law firm. That's more than enough said about that, lest those of you who made it this far fall asleep from overstimulation.

Although the vast majority of my boating experience has been on power boats, I've decided I want to sail, so I have signed up for an ASA-certified sailing class, which is coming up in May. I'm really looking forward to it.

In the meantime, I've been scouring Craig's list and the internet for a decent, cheap, used sailboat for my "first" sailboat to learn on. I've eyeballed everything from Minifishes and Sunfishes up to a Catalina 22. I want to keep it relatively small, simple and inexpensive - small enough to tow behind my truck, and maybe take out, launch and retrieve by myself, should I want to, but big enough that my wife and daughters can come with me for a day sail, or maybe an overnighter with just my wife or one of my daughters.

I'll pursue the "what first cheap small simple reliable roomy compact easy to handle fun safe comfortable boat do you recommend" question in the appropriate forum section, though.

Thanks,

- Bill T.
- Richmond, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey rust - welcome to SN dude. It's a great place to hang out and wast WAY too much time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-19-2010
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Small world

Bill, I live in western Henrico, too, and day sail on Swift Creek Reservoir. Sounds like you're eventually thinking Chesapeake, but if you want to quell the jones in the meantime, I'd be happy to have you aboard sometime.

My answer to "what first cheap small simple reliable roomy compact easy to handle fun safe comfortable boat do you recommend" is a Flying Scot. But that's only one of a bunch of reasonable choices. If you'd like to get out some weekend or evening for a Scot introduction, send me a PM.

Kurt
Old 04-19-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Bill, I live in western Henrico, too, and day sail on Swift Creek Reservoir. Sounds like you're eventually thinking Chesapeake, but if you want to quell the jones in the meantime, I'd be happy to have you aboard sometime.

My answer to "what first cheap small simple reliable roomy compact easy to handle fun safe comfortable boat do you recommend" is a Flying Scot. But that's only one of a bunch of reasonable choices. If you'd like to get out some weekend or evening for a Scot introduction, send me a PM.

Kurt
Wow, thanks!

Let me think about it for a little while...

OK, time's up! ABSOLUTELY.

That would be terrific. I'd love to.

Unfortunately, as I am brand-spanking new to this site and have only two posts to my name, it will not allow me to send PMs yet. I'll need five posts to win that privilege. So I can either spew some additional nonsense in a couple more posts to jack up my post count, or you could contact me at w.taggart (AT) verizon (DOT) net and I can give you my phone number.

Thanks VERY much!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 04-19-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Welcome, Ilike. Giood to see you migrate over here from the WB forum.

Get the O'day!
Old 04-20-2010

BiaA is on a distinguished road
welcome
Old 04-20-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Welcome, Ilike. Giood to see you migrate over here from the WB forum.

Get the O'day!
Hehe - yup, I'm branching out all over!

I did a little more research on the O'Day, and it looks to me like it's a dog. Turns out the previous owners moved out of state and listed it for FREE on CL (apparently it needs that much work). The current guy jumped on it and acquired it for free and has been trying to sell it ever since. He started at something like $2750, then went down to $2500, last I saw he was at $1,500 with a "make me an offer - you'll be surprised how low I'll go."

It must be thrashed. I want something I can pretty much jump in and go - I don't want to have to spend a year and a couple thousand dollars getting the thing ready to sail.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 04-20-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the fray.

Ask good questions, and you find that there are a lot of people willing to help you out. There is a lot of knowledge here, and a lot of other stuff too. Soon you will learn which is which.

RE: the boat purchase; I suggest that you buy something in good condition, "ready to sail," as you want to experience sailing, and not refitting a boat.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.