Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010
A perfect day!

chrissailorman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Ahoy from Long Island

Hello fellow sailing enthusiasts. I am eagerly awaiting, like probably most of us are, the day for splashdown. I've always said...there are two days every year that I love... the day Blue Hawaii is launched and the mast is up...and the day it is hauled out and the mast is down. I have been sailing since about '92. Started with a Sunfish, graduated to a Chrysler 16, then purchased my first Rhodes, a 1972 Continental 22. I have also owned and sailed, however briefly, a Hobie 14, which I promptly sold after doing an endo after catching a wave with my bow.... Nearly dislocated my shoulder while righting it but didn't give it a second chance to bite. The 22 was sailing enough for me. I sold the 72 in 2000 for a new girl with a Royal Blue hull, a 1986 Rhodes 22 with inner mast furling for the main, roller furling jib, solar chargers for the batteries....what a boat! It is a singlehanded sailors dream. I've sailed Blue Hawaii in the Peconic and the Long Island Sound but I'm headed back to Moriches Bay this year. Can't wait.
Well, blue skies and fair breezes to you all. Have a great sailing season.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Welcome.
Sounds like you have been through a number of types of sailboats, good for you. Knowing what the 'little guys' sail like can give you a greater appreciation that a slightly larger boat can provide. Also sounds like you've got quite the boat there for your local waters.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2010
A perfect day!

chrissailorman is on a distinguished road
Hey CalebD
I actually spent several thursday nights last summer crewing aboard a 37 foot Bavaria during weekly races out of Mt Sinai on Long Island Sound. I had previously thought the "big" boats were sluggish and cumbersome. Well I learned how wrong that thinking was. It was a great experience, however owning a boat that can be sailed solo has great merits. Guess you can say I appreciate both, but you'll never see a Bavaria in Moriches Bay!!! You are right on about the Rhodes it is one of a kind in that it has the features and perks of a big boat and the convenience of a smaller one. 8 foot beam, huge flat wide cockpit, bigger than most 24s-27s, a pop top for superior cabin head room and rounded wide gunnels for comfortable seating when hiking out is in order... I love my Rhodes
Old 04-20-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
A buddy of mine had a Rhodes Mariner 19 footer with a centerboard model that was a great little trailerable boat. We sailed it out of Deltaville, VA on the Chesapeake.
I now have an old Tartan 27' (also centerboard model) that is now just up the Hudson from NYC which draws only 3'6" with the board up. I know of at least one other T27 that is on the Great South Bay somewhere, not sure about Moriches.
It is kind of amazing what waterline length (LWL) and hull and rig shape and setup can do to improve boat speed. Your adventures on a Hobie 14 kind of prove that. The slightly longer beach cats (16' - 18') had a bit more buoyancy and less tendency to pitch pole and were still super fast. I rented a Prindle 16' once down in St. Thomas.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.