Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010

BC100700 is on a distinguished road
Hello Sailnet

Hello from Western Michigan.
I am looking to become a returning sailing enthusiast. My family used to sail often when I was a kid on a day sailer my Dad had (not sure of make/model/year). I am recalling the memories and thought it would be a good way to spend family time in a state surrounded by a large water playground. Although, I dread that something that was fun for me will not interest my family/kids. Especially since their cousins (my brother) have a speedboat.

My ultimate goal in joining this forum is to seek information to learn how to sail, teach my wife and kids, and to teach my kids(8,6 and 3) that there is more to life than Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel.

In the future I would like to take a sailing vacation to the Caribbean and figured that my own back yard would be a good place to start. I think I could work on some of the certifications here and then try to convince my wife we need a sailing vacation (she already wants to go on a cruise, I have to convince her this is a better scenario because we wont gain 10 pounds each)

My in-laws have a cottage on a great inland sailing lake and that is how I was planning on starting. I am looking at getting a small day sailer or dingy (any advice would be helpful-the lake is approx 7 miles long x 1 mile wide but not very deep) for that purpose to teach the kids and get back into be active on the water after cruising the lake for years in a pontoon.

I would like to work on certifications as well so any schools in West Michigan (I am in Grand Rapids) that are recommended would also be helpful.

Brad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey bc - welcome to SN dude. Maybe a Catalina 22 for your lake?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2010

BC100700 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the words of advice on the boat. I was actually thinking of starting out on something a bit smaller. We used to sail on my parents boats and the biggest my dad ever had was 19'. I was just reading some great posts about dinghy's and thinking that would be a good way to get started and also if it can be rowed it would be a bonus as the kids could row it on their own. I found a Walker Bay 10 on Craigslist for a pretty good price that I am going to take a look at. It does not have the sail kit with it and I am also looking into some other models that row and sail, like a Laser Bahia to get started as it is bigger and I am not small.

The plan is to start this summer, see what is on the lake already and take some ASA classes at one of the schools on Lake Michigan.
Old 04-22-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Cool. Post some pics when you start sailing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40