Confused? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-26-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
hlmffsailmaker is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Confused?

I am very confused now, I had introduced myself here, and I am moved by warmly welcomed! But now I am confused ,because I will graduate in June this year ,and I am a English major, I find a job in a sail maker company, I do not understand anything about sails ,these days I went through many website and forums ,sometimes I came across some difficulties ,such as some special words ,or some sentences (maybe that expressed in traditional way ),my boss is a very kind man ,and his ambitions is very big ,he hope me to become a greater sail designer, now our company is still small, and we wish to enlarge our company(but first we should have a large number of customers)
now I am confused that should I insisted working as a sail maker, and I think it is hard for me to have enough money to buy a boat for sailing, and I even donít know is sailing really exciting .In this forum there are many experienced sailors and sail makers, I wish to know how do you start sailing, or giving me some advices, should I go on.: confused:
__________________
begin is hard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 04-26-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
You are doing the right thing by finding a job in a field that interests you. Learn everything you can at your company, do whatever assignments you are given.
I learned to sail by reading basic sailing books, and practicing in a small boat. Be careful, start close to shore, in warm water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 04-26-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
hlmffsailmaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
You are doing the right thing by finding a job in a field that interests you. Learn everything you can at your company, do whatever assignments you are given.
I learned to sail by reading basic sailing books, and practicing in a small boat. Be careful, start close to shore, in warm water.
thank you very much ,and I work harder and ty to sail.
__________________
begin is hard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 04-27-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
skippertips is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Congrats on your passion to get into sailmaking. Many years ago, I too had that passion, so I took a sailmaking course that was offered by Sailrite.

Although they no longer offer courses, they do have a great little set of booklets called "The Sailmaker's Library". These show you step-by-step how sails are made. They are the exact same booklets I used in the course to learn how to make mainsails, jibsails, storm sails, spinnakers, and staysails.

Give the company a call - 800.348.2769 (toll free). They are super friendly and go out of their way to help their customers.

Captain John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 04-27-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
hlmffsailmaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertips View Post
Hi,
Congrats on your passion to get into sailmaking. Many years ago, I too had that passion, so I took a sailmaking course that was offered by Sailrite.

Although they no longer offer courses, they do have a great little set of booklets called "The Sailmaker's Library". These show you step-by-step how sails are made. They are the exact same booklets I used in the course to learn how to make mainsails, jibsails, storm sails, spinnakers, and staysails.

Give the company a call - 800.348.2769 (toll free). They are super friendly and go out of their way to help their customers.

Captain John
thank you Jone!
__________________
begin is hard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 04-27-2010
Junior Member - Cleveland
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
itsme6582 is on a distinguished road
There's no way a graduating English Major would write so ineligibly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 04-27-2010
Large Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
mdbee is on a distinguished road
Sadly

Sadly, I think you are wrong. sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
There's no way a graduating English Major would write so ineligibly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Herreshoff 12.5 - little confused... AndrewMac Boat Review and Purchase Forum 13 10-09-2009 02:43 PM
Relatives confused over Embassy report; want autopsy of her body - Philippine Star NewsReader News Feeds 0 07-08-2006 12:15 PM
Please Help! Gelcoat questions...im very confused efiedler Gear & Maintenance 1 04-07-2004 10:16 PM
Confused with Credit ptapaul Boat Review and Purchase Forum 3 07-13-2002 06:37 AM
Red, sure, right? (I,m confused) nauticalrich General Discussion (sailing related) 11 04-28-2002 01:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.