Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010

hlmffsailmaker is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Confused?

I am very confused now, I had introduced myself here, and I am moved by warmly welcomed! But now I am confused ,because I will graduate in June this year ,and I am a English major, I find a job in a sail maker company, I do not understand anything about sails ,these days I went through many website and forums ,sometimes I came across some difficulties ,such as some special words ,or some sentences (maybe that expressed in traditional way ),my boss is a very kind man ,and his ambitions is very big ,he hope me to become a greater sail designer, now our company is still small, and we wish to enlarge our company(but first we should have a large number of customers)
now I am confused that should I insisted working as a sail maker, and I think it is hard for me to have enough money to buy a boat for sailing, and I even donít know is sailing really exciting .In this forum there are many experienced sailors and sail makers, I wish to know how do you start sailing, or giving me some advices, should I go on.: confused:
Old 04-26-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
You are doing the right thing by finding a job in a field that interests you. Learn everything you can at your company, do whatever assignments you are given.
I learned to sail by reading basic sailing books, and practicing in a small boat. Be careful, start close to shore, in warm water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
You are doing the right thing by finding a job in a field that interests you. Learn everything you can at your company, do whatever assignments you are given.
I learned to sail by reading basic sailing books, and practicing in a small boat. Be careful, start close to shore, in warm water.
thank you very much ,and I work harder and ty to sail.
Old 04-27-2010

skippertips is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Congrats on your passion to get into sailmaking. Many years ago, I too had that passion, so I took a sailmaking course that was offered by Sailrite.

Although they no longer offer courses, they do have a great little set of booklets called "The Sailmaker's Library". These show you step-by-step how sails are made. They are the exact same booklets I used in the course to learn how to make mainsails, jibsails, storm sails, spinnakers, and staysails.

Give the company a call - 800.348.2769 (toll free). They are super friendly and go out of their way to help their customers.

Captain John
Old 04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertips View Post
Hi,
Congrats on your passion to get into sailmaking. Many years ago, I too had that passion, so I took a sailmaking course that was offered by Sailrite.

Although they no longer offer courses, they do have a great little set of booklets called "The Sailmaker's Library". These show you step-by-step how sails are made. They are the exact same booklets I used in the course to learn how to make mainsails, jibsails, storm sails, spinnakers, and staysails.

Give the company a call - 800.348.2769 (toll free). They are super friendly and go out of their way to help their customers.

Captain John
thank you Jone!
Old 04-27-2010
Junior Member - Cleveland

itsme6582 is on a distinguished road
There's no way a graduating English Major would write so ineligibly.
Old 04-27-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Sadly

Sadly, I think you are wrong. sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
There's no way a graduating English Major would write so ineligibly.