Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010

rjf2003 is on a distinguished road
new to sailnet & looking at boats

Hello, Roger here. My wife & I have sailed Lake St. Clair with friends on 20 to 30 foot boats and are now considering a first purchase. We are are planning on day sailing & maybe the occasional overnight. There are quite a few boats available in the Southeastern Michigan area in our price range of $3000 So they are older 20' - 22'. I'm presently interested in an O'day 20 or an American Mariner 21. Each is about 30 years old and seemingly well cared for. My take is the Mariner would be a nice camper & the O'day might provide more excitement. There is also a Mirage 24 but it may be more of a project than I am up for. Comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey rj - welcome to SN dude. Whatever you do, just get that boat and go sailing! Good luck on your hunt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-29-2010

thanks for the welcome

I'll post more specific questions after looking at some of the boats of interest - hopefully this weekend.
Old 05-03-2010

music2177 is on a distinguished road
rjf- I'm new to these forums as well (and sailing), and I've been amazed by how cheap it is to purchase a boat. Currently I'm only trying to crew and learn, but I might end up picking something up in a year or two. good luck!
Old 05-04-2010

music - I don't know if you would call what I've been doing crewing - more like along for the ride on Hobies then MacGregors then I think it was a Pierson. Any way this is my second season of looking at boats and I agree that there are some nice boats available. I'm in the southeastern Michigan area and noticing 20' to 25' boats around thirty years old for around $3000. I'm also thinking that I will take sailing lessons at either American Sailing Association or American Sailing Institute if I proceed with a purchase. So, if they were cars you might say that I am kicking tires. What do they say when it's boats? - RJ
Old 05-04-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The American Mariner was not much of a boat. If those are your only choices I would go with the Oday 20 which was a very nice boat for that era.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 05-04-2010

American Mariner vs ...

Jeff,

Thanks for the comment. I've poked around on the internet regarding the American Mariner and found generally positive comments with the exception of it being regarded as a bit slow winward. The other comments were all pretty favorable. I hadn't heard the American Mariner name prior to the one being offered for sale. I appreciate any info available.

rj