SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Fresh new Victim :-) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/64361-fresh-new-victim.html)

nerys 05-02-2010 12:40 AM

Fresh new Victim :-)

1 Attachment(s)
My name is Chris from Levittown 19057.

last year end of summer I got really lucky. I got a 27foot sail boat with trailer for $150 off Craigslist.

Just today I secured a 9.9hp LS motor for it (she suggested I come here :-)

I am hoping I can put it in the water and learn how to sail this summer. the inside is trashed (vandals from PO) but the hull is good and all sails and rigging is intact. Even some extra sails.

I am clueless about what to do but am a sponge for learning :-)

Here is a picture. She suggested maybe you guys might be able to help me identify what she is. She has no name so I am going to have to come up with one :-)

Hmmm tried to remove the cell phone pic and upload a nicer one but it won't le tme see later post.

ereiss 05-02-2010 07:04 AM

Start with the hull number

On the stern, exterior, probably in the upper right you should see some numbers imbedded into the fiberglas. Check out this posting for more information on what these numbers mean. You can always post what you find and folks might be able to help.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...l-numbers.html

welcome aboard, Sailor.

FSMike 05-02-2010 08:54 AM

Welcome aboard Chris. Get some lessons and have fun.

Shall we have a "Name Chris's Boat" contest? Considering the purchase price (I'm envious) I suggest "Cheap Thrills".

Faster 05-02-2010 10:59 AM

I see it has a state license - you may be able to trace the type through that, if you can't find an HIN on the transom.

If you don't find any major flaws that's quite a 'deal'...

nerys 05-02-2010 11:35 AM

yeah the interior is non existent but to me thats very minor. Function over Beauty gets me on the water :-)

The keel is also "stuck" its an external swing keel. Metal on Metal. Seized up good. many cans of PB have had no effect. I am afraid to apply to much force for fear of damaging the hull its attached to.

The person I am getting the motor from (don't want to mention name without permission) suggested maybe I could REMOVE the whole thing from the boat. Duh! Head Smack never though of that :-) next time I am down their I am going to see if its bolts holding it on the hull and if i can remove them.

if I can separate it from the boat I can get aggressive with it :-)

while it will work fine as it is my fear is if the keel COMES DOWN while I am out I won't be able to get it back OUT of the water again if the keel won't come back up :-) hehe

My first task is to greatly reinforce the supports on the trailer. While its clearly plenty strong. It survived the highway drive home over 60 miles and its survived winter it just SEEMS lacking to me. So I am going to greatly strengthen it.

Then I will feel safe climbing into the boat while on land and "having at it"

Is it safe and suggested that I practice "stepping" (correct term?) the mast and sails on land first so I know somewhat how to do it before getting on the water? will I harm the hull walking around on it while on the trailer?

There seems to be some "pressure" spots where the trailer pushes harder than other spots. Do I need to redesign the trailer a little to spread this load better or am I thinking too much into this? I have no idea how strong these things are or the forces involved.

I had a ton of nice pictures for the life of me I can not find them. when i find them or take some more I will post them!

FSMike 05-02-2010 05:40 PM

Chris -
If you decide to step the mast on shore be aware of power lines. VERY AWARE!

I personally wouldn't feel too comfortable doing that. If you further decide to raise the sails with the boat on the trailer, make sure it's calm.

deniseO30 05-02-2010 06:34 PM

Ayup it's ok to name me Chris! GET MORE PICS!

I use photo bucket then put them on here.

the keel taken off the boat completely seems like the way to persue the problem. Iron betwix iron had to really RIP (rust in place) Yes, long hacksaw blades may work.

Now for the pervs... Chris has a longshaft! lol (Chris, on another posting, I was aptly mortified when I realized what I was saying without thinking)

deniseO30 05-03-2010 09:41 AM

Chris, how you doing with getting those pictures? I want to bring a friend over to look over your boat with you too don't forget!

nerys 05-05-2010 12:15 PM

HI Denise! Folks Denise is the truly awesome person letting me make payments so I can power my sail boat!!

As for meet you are aware its currently in 08215. I have no problem providing transport but its in my metro which is not the most comfy car in the world (worth it to me at 56+mpg :-) hehe

I am working for the Census and having a ton of fun. At my current rate I will be UNABLE to work this weekend because I will have hit 40 hours by then :-)

maybe this weekend?

I am wondering if I may have discovered the MAKER of the boat. I am thinking HUNTER. I found a scary similar boat on craigslist (granted its much much much nicer than mine and has an inboard desel I lack and have no provision for so its was never their) but man the design is scary similar

27 Foot Hunter Cruiser Sailboat

are all of this class like that or would this maybe indicate it is a hunter? I did take a couple more pictures I will get them online tonight.

I have to pull the boat out as the rear in not accessible at the moment (serious TICK and Thorn Central down their!). Next time I am down their I will tug it out a few feet so I can look for those numbers for you.

THEIR IS BOLTS holding the keel on! Yeah! 8 bolts 4 each side.

I can not do anyhing right now as I dare not climb into the boat on the trailer. I fear I am too heavy and do not want to break anything.

When my brother is home from his current work we are going to climb in their and confirm they are bolts and not studs. If bolts IE heads on both side that keel WILL come off even if I have to cut the bolts since it would be silly easy to replace them which is what I will do no matter how it comes out.

More to come!

No power lines within 400 feet of the boat so not an issue. I would NOT attempt to MOVE the boat with the mast up. I would just put it up take it down a few times for "practice" to make sure we have a clue what we are doing before getting wet.

As for sails I am surrounded by tree line so not too much threat and would not raise all the way. Just again to practice so we know how to do it.

My big concern is IS IT SAFE (for the boat) to do this while on the trailer? am I going to stress the hull to much walking around on deck while on the trailer?

I still have to do the title work (money) fix the van to tow it (money) pay off the motor (money) probable get a new transom mount thingy (that swivel thing you had on the boat Denise to raise and lower it as I do not think Mine has one (money) just to put it in the water (money)

SO if I can safely do it on the trailer I can at least learn hot to step the mast and raise the sails so I am READY once I get all the money together to pay for it all :-) hehe

deniseO30 05-05-2010 01:32 PM

Hey Chris! Was wondering when you would be back on the forum.
that wasn't my boat We had the motor on, it's a friends that let me hang it there til it was ready to run. It's stored away safe now.

If the iron swing keel is that bad yes it's best removed

The trailer looks like it has some kind or rigged up wood supports there Chris. You may want to get some advice before you transport her. let me know when you get her home.

Get more pictures!