Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010

losesightofland is on a distinguished road
Hello!

My name is Nick, and I'm a young sailor (mid-20's) that grew up sailing around the famed Brooklin, ME. For those of you who are wooden boat enthusiasts, you'll know this town as the home of Woodenboat Magazine. We also have quite a few boatyards in town, the most famous of which being Brooklin Boat Yard; the yard where designer Joel White made many of his ideas a reality.

Brooklin is a wonderful and beautiful town... and I'm the guy that owns the ugly plastic boat. I have a Sabre 28 named Eigyr that I am thoroughly in love with. Perhaps there is another boat in my future, but she gets the job done for now. I have learned a lot owning Eigyr, and compared to other Sabre 28's I have seen, she is very much at the head of her class.

If there are any other Sabre 28 owners out there and you have any questions, I probably have some sort of insight.

Also, if there are any cruisers looking to make their way to Eggemoggin Reach or Brooklin, drop a line. I am a member of the Center Harbor Yacht Club, spent a few years working at the Woodenboat School, and have crewed on a windjammer in the area, so I have a good amount of information for the transient mariner.

This summer I will be working down in Cape Cod, so I might not be in Brooklin as much as usual. I will however have my little Beetle Cat down there, so all is not lost.

I hope everybody has a great sailing season, be well!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. There are other wooden boat owners here, I am one. I met Joel once, nice guy. He designed my dingy (Martha's Tender). I also spent a weekend aboard Grace Bailey a few years back. I hope to get up to the Vineyard this summer, maybe Maine in future years. My ketch is Wandering Star, 39', strip planked, designed by WD Knott on Cape Cod, built in Largo Fl.
Old 05-05-2010

losesightofland is on a distinguished road
I love the Martha's Tender. I had one for many years before I built myself a Shellback, and gave the Martha's back to my uncle (who had put it on permanent loan to me until he got a boat... thankfully my Shellback was completed just a few months before he purchased).

If you ever get Wandering Star up to Maine, shoot for the first Saturday in August. Brooklin Boat Yard hosts the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta (formerly known as the Woodenboat Race, hosted by Woodenboat Magazine). Every kind of wooden boat under the sun (over 21' feet I think is the requirement) is present, and it's a dream for enthusiasts and gawkers alike. The competitive racing is mostly left to the "Spirit of Tradition" class... all style above the water line, all business below. It's my favorite event of the season, and though I have a plastic boat myself, I most often wind up on my cousin's Herreshoff Fisher's Island 31.

Grace Bailey is a fine ship; I crewed aboard the Summertime, a small pinky schooner that does similar trips to Grace Bailey. It was a great summer.
Old 05-05-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Howdy...and welcome Aboard

Sounds like you have your head screwed on straight for a young one...good on ya...good on your parents!

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 05-05-2010 at 10:56 AM.