Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010

Scarrie is on a distinguished road
Divorcée returns to the water

my life history to date:

As a military brat, I went to school in Hawaii. When I was 13, my non-sailing parents enrolled me in a youth sailing class at the military-family marina in Pearl Harbor.
I sailed extensively in their small rental boats (Rhodes 19', Holder 14's ...widgeons) from that summer on throughout high school. I spent all my free time at the marina, befriending sailing instructors and liveaboards there and absolutely loving it. I did friday night races & took friends and family on 'tours' around ford island as a teenager. I taught my younger siblings how to sail, and if the weather was too bad, I would go to the marina just to hang out (me in high school=dork).

Then I went to college and the real world took over, and I wasn't able to go near a sailboat for almost ten years, but I still got nostalgic whenever I saw a marina or even just listening to a rope slapping the side of a flagpole. In recent years I crewed on occasion for a friend-of-a-friend in Wednesday races on the Magothy river - sadly, my work schedule no longer allows this luxury.

I'm now at a point in my life where I want to get back to what I loved so much. I can afford a small boat, and I'm handy enough, but I don't know about routine maintenance requirements for boats - never having owned one.

I need to learn a lot about bigger boats and owning a boat in general.

I'm also getting divorced, the old house is on the market & and am a relatively new 'resident' to the Washington DC area. I put resident in quotes because I have a nice, comfy job in Alexandria, VA... but no real permanent home.

I fully plan to live aboard a sailboat... that I haven't bought yet. This may not be a bad thing since my research has shown that it can be quite difficult where I'm at, and I may need to buy a boat that has a slip w/ liveaboard status granted.

My original plan was to start small & mass-produced, but we'll see what I can come up with in the coming months. In the meantime, I enrolled the current boyfriend in a sailing class.

There's my intro, I'm gleaning a lot of info from this site & hope to use it to find my new home, new life, new friends & old love. Wish me Luck!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard!
LOL @ "current boyfriend." If he doesn't like sailing, will he then be known as "previous boyfriend"?
Old 05-17-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard!

This topic has come up before. You may want to check out this thread. Or, this thread.