Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010

FlyingScot1 is on a distinguished road
Not quite running with the big dogs but...

thought I'd introduce myself anyway. Although my screen-name probably ellicits some confusion I am now the proud owner of Interlake #1331. Yep, a dinghy but at least I'm sailing. First time for me on a little boat but wanted something close by that I could set off in for a couple of hours after work. I've sailed primarily an Ericson 32 on Lake Erie, Sabre 30 on the Chesapeake and a Westerly 40 in the BVI (okay for a week but it still counts ). I am by no means anything more than a novice but am pretty sure I'll be getting some schooling on this boat and who knows it may lead to something bigger. My goal this year is to learn the boat, make sure nobody gets hurt/drowns, try not to drop my car in the drink (first time launching a boat) and generally have fun. Next year it's time to start racing!!!!
BTW, the FlyingScot moniker pays homage to my Scottish ancestry and my last job as a pediatric flight nurse.
Looking forward to learning anything and everything I can from all of you.

Lynne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Practice launching the boat in a dry, empty parking lot. Nothing is worse than the newbie who takes 4 hours to back down a ramp 20 yds long.

And welcome to the show. Nothing wrong w/ a flying scot, love those boats, it was a scot that got me into sailing.
Old 05-20-2010

Fortunately I'm big on boat etiquette and plan on the first launch happening on a weekday morning. The ramp is short and steep and I've already been backing the trailer which seems to come instinctively to me. Unfortunately there is a huge drop off shortly after the ramp ends (like to 50 feet deep) and there are apparently a few trailers down there. I'd like to NOT add my Subaru. My club is primarily "dry sail" so I will be doing this pretty much 4-6 times a weekend so I should get pretty good at it before the end of the season. Also, my boat (Interlake not a FS) only weighs 650# so she floats off the trailer pretty quickly and I don't have to put the rear wheels of my car in the water to launch her. I'm more freaked out about the incline of the ramp, hauling out and the fact that I drive a manual transmission. All it's going to take is successfully doing it once and the "freakout" will hopefully subside. I'm really looking forward to sailing this boat. She has performed well in Nationals and is known to be fast but hasn't been sailed much lately. I've replaced the jib halyard, jib cloth tensioner, miles of shock-cord and will be working on the vang which is messed up. Learned how to swage cable last weekend. It was cool. Now to just get her in the water!!! The weather has been less than cooperative around here.
Old 05-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard Lynneterlake!
Where do you sail out of now?
Old 05-20-2010

Man, now I'm gonna have to get a new keyboard "Lynneterlake" was so funny I snorted soda all over it. I'm in central Ohio. My boat is at Hoover Sailing Club. The Interlake is mostly a Mid-West boat with a very active fleet so we trailer all over the place. Our mid-winter championships were in Tampa this year. Not sure where they are next year. I'm lucky that my boat is only 5 minutes from my house
Old 05-20-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You are going to enjoy the Interlake 18'. Getting Started with the durable, responsive Interlake sailboat!
It looks a lot like a Lightning 19' and seems to also have a planing hull from the pics of them spinnaker racing on the website.
Regards trailering, you may find that your standard transmission is more of an asset then a drawback when launching your boat.
Welcome Ms. Flying Scot 1. Your 'handle' has already caused much confusion. Count on Mr. bljones (who is part Welsh for sure) to come up with 'Lynnterlake'.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Lynne, there's nothing wrong with getting a 25' or 50' tow strap, typically used to pull your car out of the mud, and if you can't get the car close enough to the water to haul the boat out some day...hook up the tow strap between the car and trailer, use it to keep the car above the mudline.

Not very expensive, or hard to keep packed in the car, just in case.
Old 05-20-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Lynne, you're likely to learn more, faster about boat handling with the dinghy than with a larger keel boat. Enjoy it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2010

monishad4 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hello Lynneterlake, nice to meet you. I am new to the forum

Monisha Duggarronald Cruzag

Last edited by monishad4; 10-03-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2010

Thanks for the warm welcomes and encouragment (and the great suggestion of a tow strap for dicey launches-Hellosailor you're a genius). I had high hopes for this weekend but it looks like more rain and thunder for Saturday. I'm holding out for Sunday but I might have race committee or need to crew for the FS regatta (as the third member otherwise known as "ballast").
I did a lot of research on the Interlake prior to buying it. I like the look of the hard chine and although not as fast as a 505 or MC Scow it still holds it's own. Plus, being a novice, if I get into trouble all I have to do is let go of everything and the boat just stops. I'm waiting for the water to warm up above its current 52 degrees and then Dad and I are going to put the boat on her side so I can learn how to right her (I'm not that big) in a non-half-drowned scenario. Keep the introductions coming, I'm enjoying meeting everyone.