Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010

HOODWINKED is on a distinguished road
a Newbie has arrived.

Hello everyone.
I have just sailed in my 3rd race.
Intimidating at first, and very happyto having had no collisions, finishing, & no on shouted at me.
Im still learning to get the terms right and my crew are fabulous. We crewed together on on yachts and really click on this Hood 23.
We all just want to be competitive, finish to the best we can on the day.
The boys have a real problem with the Mainsail Halyard.
Its an interal fitting that exits at the base (starboard) runs back up to a large cleat.
One fellow does a wrap the other cranks it on from the base.
We never achieve a properly cranked on Main. Always needing to take out the flap with the cunningham.
I wonder if its possible to transfer this tension to an organiser and run the halyard back to the cockpit to use a jib winch there or run it through a Jammer. Any comment would be most welcome.
Do I need a shipwright to beef up the decking to accomodate the block organiser and jammer?.
Would this sideway base tension create a problem?
The yacht I have is a Hood 23' circa age mid to late 70's.
Its been a regular race winner before I bought it.
I intend it to happen again in the future,
I am so glad to have found this forum.
regards,
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the site! it's real easy to route the Main halyard to the cockpit. On a 23 ft boat it's hard to believe you need muscle to raise it though. Maybe something is binding or not sliding.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with Denise... I seriously doubt you need a winch to properly tension the mainsail on a 23' boat. One issue that does crop up on some boats is if the main halyard has an eyespliced halyard shackle. Often the sheave is too small to accept the thicker section caused by the eyesplice, so achieving full hoist can be an issue. When was the running rigging on the boat last changed? When was it last inspected?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-22-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I have seen some racing sails that are cut with a luff that is so long that you have to use the cunningham to tension the luff properly. Usually the mast has a stripe that shows the lowest point that the boom is allowed by the class rules to intersect with the mast. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just use the cunningham to tension the luff and trust that that's the way it's supposed to be. As long as you're able to tension the luff properly in relation to the windspeeds, I don't think it really matters whether you're tensioning it with the halliard, or with the cunningham, or with a downhaul.
Old 05-22-2010

HOODWINKED is on a distinguished road
thank you for all threads

Ah the lure of sailing has me tightly in its grasp.
Well I thought that this morning when the sun briefly peeked out of the dull grey clouds.
I didnt make it to the mooring. My little woman already had my day planned. I have to clean the paperwork away from the office table. (failed) that one.
Clean the kitchen... failed that too. Am at present looking out the office window at the ocean off Bronte Beach. Another rain front with fog is rolling in. Doing any drilling for electrical wiring work on my boat wont happen today. Im consoling myself with some home made split pea and Ham soup. The ham is a smoked Hock that has aphrodisiac like qualities that almost wants me to do the shopping..shopping. ... that was another task my little lady has set me.
Oh well I'll have to play hookey on Weds before the race starts...to do the jobs I cant/want to do today.
Well I have had the rigging done anew 2 years ago. I couldnt sail for a year because of feet & Knee problems, but now Im back and Helming is my role. The crew do the rest. I sometimes go fo'rd to deal with a problem or to instruct how to do it in future.
Every week we independantly trawl the net for sailing tips. I was given a link to US keelboat sailing website. Man it has everything a newbie like myself needs. My first taste of sailing was from below or at sea level. Depends how you look at it if your a MOB...we all know what those 3 letters mean & Im not a MOB member.
That was 5 years ago and as a crew member after that day on the Dubios 28' with running backstays I have always had to think as a crew member. Now Im the Helmsman
I to others seem to do the unconventional...like being on the low side.
Its sometimes simpler being there. Im already in position for a jybe if we have to do one unexpectantly...then the crew stay low.. the lighter crewman goes high to spot for other yachts & I stay low to maintain the heel & race speed.
Thank you all for your various insights.
Yes the halyard does go up easily especially if the backstay is let off.
And the thought that the cunningham taking up the slack especially as a class role has its points too.
But my crew and I arnt as nimble as before. Ideally I will look into bringing that halyard back to the cockpit via an organiser to a jammer block.
4 Weeks ago we were in Sydney Harbor near the heads. We had to head a beat to the harb bridge.
30 plus knts blowing from the SW..
I had up a #1.5 Jib. The Jibb drive the boat. The main accelerates it and brakes the boat speed.
We had to drop the main and I mean drop the main. There is no main topping lift on my boat.
The boom dropped into cockpit plus the mainsail.
I had to leave the helm in another sailboat owners hands thankfully while I dealt with the mainsail with another inexperienced crewman.
Finally I isolated the boom from the mainsail which we dropped into the cabin uncerimoniusly and attached the boom to its wire tether off the Main mast backstay.
It took approx 30-40 jibes to claw back home. A distance of maybe 2 NMiles. It took us nearly 3 hours.
If I had the control over the halyard from the cockpit, having a 130Kg man amidships in that blow which was dangerous for me and the situation.
The upshot of that day trip was that I know what the boat handles like.
We barely got wet except for spray the wind collected and dumped down MY neck and the guy at the helm when I handed it to him...well he wants to sail with me more regularly.
He has a 40' yacht setup for cruising sleeping 6 with a big steering wheel. He revelled at being on the tiller again.
Ah sailing is a mistress I want to caress. Its starting to clear up since I last looked writing this epic tale. I'll quickly shuffle papers, do the shopping, scoot down to the clubhouse...maybe evn row out to my mooring.
"Ya gots to do what ya gots to do"....Did Popeye the sailor mans say that to Olive Oiol?
regards,
Michael
I hope you've all had a laugh.
Old 05-22-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Dude,
Friendly advice follows:
Using the phrase "little woman" around here will likely get your ass kicked.
Carry on.