Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010

Zakema is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hello All!

Here's a little aboud myself...My name is Martin, I was born and raised in Montreal Canada.
Spent my pre-teen and teenage years around nautical bookstores, boatyards and helping my dad build his 33' chatam(steel sloop) in our own backyard.
Sailed this boat with the family around lake champlain and up the ICW to the Carolina's. Then from the age of 16 to the age of 28 I was completely out of sailing.(School, parties, business, wife, children, 1 boy and 1 girl...12 months apart.)
To make a long story short my wife and I bought a cs 22, sailed her with the kids for 2 summers on lake Ontario. She fell in love with the lifestyle, accepted my offer to go on an extended family cruise. We sold the Cs22, bought a 30' 1969 Dufour Arpege sloop, sold the house and took off. We spent about 2 years sailing down the east coast, the keys and the bahamas.
My wife was homeschooling about 2 hours a day while a was doing the boat tasks.
The family life aboard our little 30 foot sloop was simply put...AMAZING. We were meeting new friends, learning new things(museums, fishing, festivals, diving, mechanics, weather and the list goes on...)
We both new that our kids would have to go back with their peers before their teenage years. Our whole adventure took about 3 years total.
We put the boat on the hard in Fort Pierce, FL and lost her after two hurricanes hit within a few weeks apart. It was the end of an erra...
After about 4000 miles of sailing we both new what we wanted for our future.
The plan was to give 100% of ourselves to our work and our kids until we could go back cruising just the 2 of us. Well now we are about 5 years away from that dream and we have both decided to circumnavigate. So let the fun begin...for the next 5 years I will be dedicating at least 10 hours a week to this trip. We already know alot about our cruise...we will be setting off aboard a catamaran(38 to 45 feet), we will have many friends and family who will join us for weeks of living aboard and learning the lifestyle. We will not have a time frame...It will start when we are ready and finish when we have had enough...simple as that. Of coarse, we are well aware that many things can happen to change these plans but this is the goal.

So for now, it will be alot of reading, planning and of coarse PARENTING. The kids are now 15 and 16 so we are in the ''Rough Sea's'' of parenting...

This site seems to be very friendly, informative and well organized...
I'm glad to join you all in the fun...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Zak - welcome to SN dude. You'll like the place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook