Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010

Taiko is on a distinguished road
southern ocean

new to the forums and between boats at the moment. from new zealand and could give advice on the chatham islands and auckland islands.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Taike - welcome to SN dude.

Question: Have you sailed out of Puerto Montt, Chile? What's that port like?

Also, is sailing between the Fauklands and Argentina doable? Or is it best to stay west of the Fauklands?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-08-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey Taike - welcome to SN dude.

Question: Have you sailed out of Puerto Montt, Chile? What's that port like?

Also, is sailing between the Fauklands and Argentina doable? Or is it best to stay west of the Fauklands?
Smack old buddy what are you on ? Am I missing something ? Go on, give me a toke. Is there a Columbus in your ancestry ?

Taiko says he is from New Zealand and you start asking the poor sod about sailing from Argentina to the Faulklands......wtf ???

Ohhhhhh...I geddit.....he said Chathams and Aucklands you great dill......not the flucking Malvinas..... Nui Zullin not Argentina.

Mind you the Faulklands and the Aucklands are both in some of the most inhospitable waters you could ask for.

Hey, did you hear that Nui Zullin is the safest place on the planet to live ? Unless of course you are a Rugby playing Australian (or a good looking sheep.) Mind you what they do to Rugby playing Australians is a whole lot harsher than how they treat their sheep.

Rankings & Results « Vision of Humanity

Crikey...Australia only just scraped into the top twenty...scarey....

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 06-08-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Oops - my bad. Jeez, this bong just doesn't have the right flow. Must head to Gear and Maintenance!

I'm really horrible with Geology.

PS - sorry about the Taiko.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-08-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2010

easy enough mistake,should have been more precise.the chatham island sare on lat 44 out from cristchurch nz,the aucklands are on lat 51 south of nz.
the chathams are populated-around 600-farmers &cray fishermen.the best anchorage is in port hutt,although down on pitt island,next to cannister cove there is a genuine hurricane hole,you have toget close in to see it,-the entrance curves around into a harbour with room for a dozen boats.
the aucklands are uninhabited with far better anchorage.its a volcano thats blown the centre out.both are world class seabird areas
Old 06-09-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hey Taiko...don't let him off that lightly....Smack is Sailnet's complimentary punching bag, aren't you Smack ?

Taiko, have you sailed to the Aucklands or Chathams? I've long wanted to visit Macquarie Island though I doubt I'd sail there. The Chathams look possible being a bit further north though I'm not seeing too many safe havens, even Port Hutt looks pretty exposed. The Aucklands seem to have sheltered anchorages , further south probably means harsher weather I guess.

I'm doing some reading. Post anything at all. While I don't mind warm weather and tropical islands my heart is more with the cold and bleak. Which probably says something about my psyche I guess.....

If sailing to the Aucklands.....leave from Dunedin ? Invercargill ? Hop to Stewart and then to Aucklands ? Like most people I guess, I have little knowledge of NZ sailing grounds other than North Island East Coast. From the north..Christchurch.....Akaroa.....Timaru...Dunedi n......Invercargill ? Getting to Christchurch could be <cough> fun.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-11-2010

if you want to go to the auckland islands leave from invercagill & from there to stewart island,probably into port pegasus.fish for sea salmon or blue cod.
from there on to the snares,& on the west side you will find a neat little cove with almost full protection. you wont get sleep bEcause of the sealions 7 PENGUINS.
To go to the aucklands go down on a nw,back on a sw,this will give you a quartering sea. enjoy the spinner dolphins,watch the north & south traps-reefs.

the problem is that there is only one chart & its not a large scale,those dots are not fly ****.sandy bay in enderby island is good shelter other wise go into the main harbour.dont be temted by the small fjords on the way-terrific katabatic winds,you can get out the other end of the harbour by the victoria passage but at times there is an eight knot current.

the aucklands are awe-inspiring,like visiting the grand canyon!

chathams tommorrow