Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010

rainbowinme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to rainbowinme
can it be done ?

HI ALL,
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON SAIL-NET I HAVE BEEN A LONG TIME READER & JUST LOVE THE WEALTH OF INFO HERE , I REALLY NEED SOME THOUGHTS FROM YOU GUY'S / LADY'S , I LIVE HERE IN AUSTRALIA , AND I LIVE & THINK OF SAILING EVERY WAKING HOUR , I HAVE HAD NO REAL SAIL EXPERIENCE ONLY LOTS OF BOOKS / DVD'S SO FAR , PLANNING ON SOME SORT OF SAILING COURSE IN THE NEAR FUTURE, I NEED YOUR HELP & ADVICE ON WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY IDEA , I AM STILL 2 YEARS SHORT OF MY ADVENTURE & STILL SAVING , I WANT TO FLY OVER TO TURKEY & BUY A WOODEN GULET , 20m LENGTH , 5.6m BEAM , 2 MAST , 2 HELM STATIONS , 6 CABINS (A VERY BIG BOAT )
FOR ONE MAN .
IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS CAN I BRING A BOAT BACK TO AUSTRALIA BY MYSELF, AS A SOLO SAILOR ,THE VENTURE IS 15000 nm TRIP , ( ABOUT 6 MONTH'S) I TEND TO SET THE BOAT UP TO BE AS SHORT HANDED AS POSSIBLE, WITH ALL THE LATEST ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT INCLUDING, AUTO-PILOT , RADER , ANY THING THAT WILL HELP, I TEND TO STAY IN TURKEY FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS WITH THE BOAT AND PAY FOR LESSONS ON MY NEW BOAT EVERY DAY BEFORE I LEAVE WITH A EXPERIENCED SKIPPER / CREW , JUST OFFSHORE, IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS SHOULD A ROUND THE WORLD TRIP BE ATTEMPTED SOLO IN SUCH A BIG BOAT , ONLY HAVING JUST A FEW INSHORE LESSONS / READING BOOKS / & SETTING THE MIND STRAIGHT FOR THE ADVENTURE FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS , I COULD TAKE THE WIFE & SON WITH ME, IF I KNOW IT WILL BE SAFE TO DO SO , NOR DO I WANT TO PAY FOR CREW IF I DON'T NEED TO , I MEAN IF A 16 YEAR OLD CAN DO IT SOLO ,CAN I WITH ONLY LITTLE EXPERIENCE , I COULD EASILY BUY A BOAT IN MY COUNTRY , AND JUST FORGET ABOUT THE WHOLE IDEA BUT WHERE IS THE ADVENTURE IN THAT.

OF COURSE SAFETY COMES FIRST , BUT I REALLY WANT A WOODEN GULET THEY ARE JUST SO BEAUTIFUL, SHE WOULD DEFIANTLY BE OCEAN CROSSING READY BEFORE I LEAVE , I COULD SELL IT HERE & DOUBLE AMOUNT THAN WHAT I PAID FOR IT , THEN GO BACK & DO IT ALL AGAIN , HOW MANY NAUTICAL MILES CAN A SOLO SAILOR ACHIEVE IN A DAY ? , AND HOW DOES HE TRAVEL AT NIGHT , AM I JUST CRAZY OR WHAT ? OR WILL I NEED TO AT LEAST HIRE ONE SKIPPER , IF I WAS JUST GOING TO BUY A SMALL BOAT AND SAIL COASTAL THERE WOULD BE NO QUESTIONS ,

I WOULD LOVE TO BRING WIFE & SON (HE IS ONLY 11 AND COULD BE HOMED SCHOOLED) AND YES THEY WOULD LOVE TO COME TOO, THEY COULD BE TRAINED AS CREW, OR IS IT JUST TO DANGEROUS FOR THEM, AS SKIPPER OF MY BOAT I WOULD NOT WANT TO ENDANGER THERE LIFE'S , BECAUSE OF MY SELFISH DREAM FOR THE OCEAN , HOWEVER THEY DO KNOW HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO ME & WOULD LET ME GO ON MY OWN AND DIE DOING WHAT I LOVE TO DO, AS LONG AS I HAD A GOOD INSURANCE POLICY, (NOR DO I INTEND TO DIE ) I ONLY INTEND TO SAIL THIS COURSE AT THE RIGHT PREVAILING TIME OF COURSE ,
I HAVE NO SAILOR FRIENDS TO TALK TO ABOUT MY IDEA ! THIS IS THE FIRST PLACE ON SAIL-NET THAT I HAVE EXPRESSED MY DREAM , & I WOULD LOVE TO HERE YOUR OPTIONS ON THIS, I HAVEN'T EVEN DARED TO TELL FAMILY ABOUT IT NOR INTEND TO UNTIL LAST DAY THEY WOULD NEVER UNDER STAND US ADVENTURER'S & STEER US RIGHT OFF COURSE .

MY WIFE & I COULDN'T THINK OF A BETTER LIFE, STILL LIVING THE DREAM & COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS I WILL BECOME A SAILOR TOO. .. ......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Gulet

"A gulet is an all wooden motor sailing yacht built for cruising the coasts in the calm warm waters of the Mediterranean. These yachts are built to center life on deck during the charter. Spacious decks and housing a large (usually) aft half mooned shaped dining and lounging area are their main features.

A gulet can best be compared to a small hotel afloat. There are double berths in each cabin and occasionally, upper bunks. Every cabin has its and shower. The crew sleeps and uses the facilities in their separate

Common quarters include a large saloon, a fully equipped galley commanded by a cook, lots of uncluttered deck space, sun mattresses strewn all over to laze on while tanning. Round sterned gulets have a mattress covered perch in the aft that is called a "pigeon's nest", the most comfortable place to lounge or nap on the boat, protected by awnings. Unlike a bareboat, which is often limited in water supply, a gulet offers the chance to wash off the salt after every swimming party, as it takes up to 3 tons of fresh water."

Gulet's have a good reputation but a 20M size is not for singlehanding. Nor is taking it on an oceans voyage. You're going to need crew. And a crew of 3 probably won't be enough if problems arise. While I applaud you're wanting to take your family (and they seem to want to be a part of the adventrure) you need crew who have done the trip.

The good thing is that you can get your sea legs in the Med before deciding how to take her home. That may determine the crew complement, time, and outfitting. The complexity of the systems on board can influence the crew size.

If you're going offshore then I'd be leery. If you're going to coastal cruise, then I'd be a bit more agreeable to the passage but I'm still concerned about the original design of this vessel in unprotected waters. Lesser seaworthy vessels have made voyages as long or longer. IMO, the odds of success aren't as good for "calm water designed" boats as they are for coastal or offshore vessels.

And, please, turn the CAPS off. There's no need to yell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2010

rainbowinme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to rainbowinme
Wow, That's a bit of the kick in the pant's, Thanks' for your honest option , ( And sorry about leaving the cap locks on ) If need be i will hire one skipper / one crew , Plus me as crew . The cost of shipping a boat of this size on a big ship starts at around $80,000 hiring crew could be halve that cost.

there are many Turks willing to put there hands up to do the trip, I do value your option and would love to get more option's on peoples thoughts on the safety of a gulet out in the open water for 6 months , if all the option's are negative I
take the advise and ship the boat , I always thought bigger was better it's like a small ship maybe I was wrong.

I would still love to bring the wife & son along , which would bring my crew up to 5 , How ever If you guys think its not safe, well they will stay home, It all comes down to how strong the boat is.
I can definitely see single handling is out of the Question no matter how well she is set up ( don't no what I was thinking there) having hire help all the the way home makes common sense , But to find crew that have done the trip is out of the Question there are no gulets in Australia, But finding Turks that have done ocean crossings , even to the U.S.A no problem.
Tanks for your fast reply it's great to get your thoughts...
Old 11-02-2011

frazerhalliday_za is on a distinguished road
Hi Rainbowinme,

Did you ever manage to do this trip or get any further information? I'm desperate to go round the world in a gulet, but for every positive post there are more negitive but I appreciate most sailors are hapy to plod along in theire GRP productions and not take any real risks.