Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010

prmichael is on a distinguished road
Another pic:
Login | Facebook
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2010

jeepishgrin is on a distinguished road
Mast Rings

To: PR Michael
I have six of the plastic rings you want. Since I only had six, I improvised ten out of PVC pipe sections. Just tell me where to mail them. My email is bowenml@sbcglobal.net. Mike
Old 08-24-2010

wraith8 is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm new here as well. I just bought my first sailboat and it happens to be a '69 Seaflite, and it will need some restoration work this winter. What a happy coincidence that I found this site and post. I haven't had it out yet, I've only had it at home a couple of days, but am looking forward to it. I'm hoping it wil be roomy enough my wife won't have to sit on the top rail, that will seriously dampen her interest, and part of the reason for the purchase. Anyway, prmicheal, any other photos you could post would be great. I'd like to see more of this boat rigged up for the water. The folks I got it from never put it in the water and couldn't provide any information about how to set it up. I think it's simple enough to not do wrong, but verifying that is always best.
I know I'm going to have to replace a lot of wood this winter, so any guidance, manuals, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2010

fanaticore is on a distinguished road
I dream having my own boat too. I wish my father's boat.
Old 09-01-2010

roycrissman is on a distinguished road
Try Kevane sails. kevanesails.com I believe. Reasonably priced sails and rings for sunfish type boats. I bought one for a sailfish. Beautiful sail!
Old 09-14-2010

stickrules211 is on a distinguished road
New to the site. I also just bought a 1974 12' Seaflite. Missing all the mast hoops. Also using a bent 3/4 Galv. pipe as a tiller. Very ugly. Any one have a pic they can post of the original tiller so I can fab a new one.
Also if anyone has a pic of the main sheets rigged in place on the boat that would be helpful.
Thanks
Marc
Old 09-15-2010

Stick, you may have a bit of a problem rigging the sheet if you're using a bent piece of pipe for your tiller. There is a block on the tiller handle right over the hinge point of the rudder that you will probably be missing. If I can make it to the lake this evening, weather permitting, I'll have some photos to post of the rigging and tiller.
I rigged mine by tieing the sheet to the pin on the rearmost block on the boom, running it to the block on the tiller, back to the first block, then to the block at mid-boom. If yours is like mine, there is also a hook on the rear of the daggerboard column that can be used in addition on high wind days. I've only managed to get mine out once, but this setup seemed to be the simplest way to rig the boat and worked well. The only thing that had me a bit puzzled was the cleat on the side of the boom just forward of the rear block. I can only assume it's there to tie off the main sheet for some reason.
Old 09-15-2010

As promised, here's a photo of the tiller and rudder.

I wasn't able to go out this evening, so I don't have a photo of the mainsheet routing, but I did run across this photo earlier today that shows a similar rigging pattern.

http://www.shortypen.com/brdboat/alpha3.jpg

I hope this helps
Old 09-16-2010

stickrules211 is on a distinguished road
That will help in my fab. greatly. I see the block attached to the tiller. Thats the way it should be. Mine has a make shift rope traveler to miss the tiller now. Which wouldn't allow for you to tighten the main sheet very well heading up wind.
If I may ask, I noticed a threaded hole in the hull under the mast step, does yours have a plug in it and should it be plugged.
Could you tell me how inches the tiller is from outside mount to handle tip?
Old 09-23-2010

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was away with my scouts and just got back on here.

My boat does not have a hole of any kind in the hull except for the daggerboard. I would assume a threaded hole under the mast step would be for drainage, I noticed mine had a considerable amount of water in it a while back and there wasn't anyplace for it to drain. With cold weather approaching, I've considered making some kind of cover to keep water from accumulating. Mine is older than yours, so it may have been a later improvement. Does it look as if it was part of the original manufacture of the hull? If it's solid fiberglass all the way through the hole, and not just drilled through with a gap exposing floatation foam, I wouldn't worry too much about plugging it. There shouldn't be any accumulation while on the water.
I'm not certain what you're asking about regarding the outside mount to handle tip, but I did take some measurements that may be what you're asking about. The tiller handle is about 34" overall, the block is approximately 30 1/4" from the tip of the handle and the bend starts about 17" back from the tip. If you want any more detailed measurments, ie. bend angle, drop to the end of the tiller, etc, I'll need a little time.
I hope it helps.