Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010

frozenkim is on a distinguished road
Are we Crazy?

Well first time posting and it has taken me half an hour to figure this out...What makes me think I could possibly sail a boat ??? With four kids aboard??? Are we insane to want to live aboard a boat for a while and see some of the world with our kids instead of alone when we retire??? I figured other sailing people may have a few more positive comments instead of just "OMG are you crazy" I dont believe I am but then,,,we are used to it. We moved from Alaska to Florida,,,then to Tennessee and now we want to live on a boat...oh yeah..ummm not really any sailing experience but I figure I'm not going to learn if I dont buy a boat and start. I guess i should invest heavily in a lifeboat. Any advice and I mean ANYTHING would be great because there isn't alot I know right now and haven't bought a boat yet but have a few that are in the mix.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I think it is terrific you want to cruise with your children, Kim, welcome to Sailnet! Yep, you're crazy, but all the best people are. There is a forum here devoted to cruising and sailing with children, it is called //wait for it ...// "Cruising and Sailing with Children". There is also a forum for women to communicate with each other, "herSailNet". Kick back and take your shoes off and enjoy the site, there are a lot of great people here.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2010

ooppss let me rephrase that into I know nothing. well not totally..I now know to go to the 'cruising with kids etc section....
Old 06-16-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Family cruising is definitely where it's at - but I'd suggest you take your time and be sure you're prepared before 'setting off the see the world'. Depending on where you choose to settle/live in the interim, there may well be a lifetime of sailing and cruising right in your own 'backyard'.

Also there's a fair cost to doing this in a way that will be comfortable and safe with a largish family.. so by all means go for it but be aware that a cautious approach and thorough preparation will go a long way to ensuring ultimate success.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2010

All great points and all things been considered, reconsidered, and considered some more. Luckily living in florida for 15 years I have been on alot of boats and have alot of boating friends. I have a licensed captain that I am going out with as often as I can ( my husband works on the Alaska pipeline so whenever he comes home every six weeks I head out to gain more experience). We have the backup plan incase everything sucks. We already have our home up for sale here in Tennessee as we were planning on moving back to florida because we love it but the idea came across the table about why not live on a boat for a while and let the kids see some of the world ( well not exactly the world..US and Canada for the most part till I am not a chicken anymore)
before buying another house. Not to mention IMHO...it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for my children to learn to live with "less" even if just for a short time before we pick a home or not.

We both love to sail...nothing ventured nothing gained. I hope anyways.
Old 06-16-2010
Not A Real Member

Grumpymx is on a distinguished road
Although the is many things to consider about the boat and the life style.
I have never seen the self confidence in land based kids that I see in 10-12 years olds that have stood the night watch at sea while everyone else slept.

If you want to do something for the children then go sailing.
It will strengthen family ties and make them stronger.

Of course this comes at the cost of time and money.
Old 06-16-2010

Thankyou for the vote of confidence!!! We realize that the plan in front of us will take many different courses along the way but that is the thrill to begin with isn't it??? As a homeschooling mom I can already imagine the learning hands on opportunities that are awaiting us,,, even if we are just living on the hook most of the time while we ALL learn what we are doing with four kids and a husband who is gone most of the time I have been told for years things were crazy.... Crazy for having four kids with a husband gone a lot, crazy for moving to Alaska, crazy for moving to Florida and crazy for moving to Tennessee,,,,I have met incredible friends and we have seen much of the country... Can't wait to meet sailing friends now with passion for what they love and willingness to offer knowledge it is greatly welcomed because we are currently experiencing heavier than normal negativity volumes which is why I joined here.... I need advice and honesty.... I am not naive I do not take this lightly but I totally think it can be done ... I have already conquered the first fear... Joining sailnet and saying I have limited sailing experience and am buying a boat to live on with four kids and learn to sail!!!!
Old 06-16-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard. There is nothing here to fear.
Well, except for Smack, but he's generally harmless.
Old 06-19-2010

Shadowcat is on a distinguished road
Hi. I'm brand new here and I am going to do the same thing as you are Kim. I have four children and I am going to Hawaii. I think I'm crazy too, but crazy in a good way. I have a job waiting for me in Hawaii, but the problem with my situation is that I can't find any laws for or against living on the hook off of Hawaii. Living in a Mariana is not an option considering the waiting list, but I have found nothing about living on the hook somewhere off of Honolulu. Any help would be lovely, but I was just thrilled to find someone that is doing the same thing. Isn't it great??!!!
Old 06-19-2010

Cool

Wow how great to find another family of four!!!kids that is. We are still looking up boats nAtionwide for purchase and if we find one on west coast would tKe the opportunity to do hawaii as I am a surfer girl at heart!! How old are your kids and what kind of plans boat do you have for them ??? I believe there are some liveaboard slips available if you would want or live on hook and do dingy or perhaps efficiency on land once in a while ... My problem is if I am on the hook alone with no other adult .. Hpw do I get supplies ??? I can hardly put four kids and me in dingy and expect to bring back supplies. Dingy will sink not to mention 20 bucks in gas to run a generator on hook much to neighbors dismay I mean being a couple is one thing but a family of four needs refridgeration because we need milk for cuppies and mayo for sandwiches and dinner stuff I don't need to go in dingy each day defeats the purpose of hook unless they will deliver!!! there isn't an easy option for people with a lot of kids but I think a water taxi business or sitter service while you shop is an option to look into!!!!!