Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Another newb checking in :)

Well then, I guess I should introduce myself.

I don't even own a boat currently; I have never owned a sailboat. I do frequently operate a powerboat, but that's for work - a 21' aluminum, center console rescue boat. And I'm not exactly an old hand at that, even.

I have been a law enforcement Park Ranger since 2007, which is when I started the boat operating phase of my career. Before that I was a plain old cop - a Deputy Sheriff - for...let's see...must have been about 1,000 years. Or maybe it was seven, but who's counting? (My username actually goes back to when I was a Deputy, the Six pointed badge.)

To sort of change topics here, and to make a long story short (I know, too late), my wife has been passionate about sailing for many years; for at least the fifteen years that we've been together. For some reason, she finally infected me with the sailing bug about a year ago.

I've been reading voraciously on the subject ever since, and letting myself daydream a bit (okay, a really really lot) about what it's going to feel like the first time I get wind in my sails.

(I've also been lurking on a number of forums, but I have only recently decided to join one, and this one seemed to have the best folks on it, so it was my choice. Man, there's a lot of info to be had here. Good job, all.)

We plan to retire to a boat - probably a catamaran in the mid-40' range.

In the meantime, since retirement is still approximately ten years in our future, we are planning to get a trailer sailer and hit some inland waters.

That is also still in the research phase; any thoughts / tips / suggestions would be more than welcome.

Well, I'm going to sign off now - hope to talk with everyone soon.

Fair winds,

Sidney (Sixpoint)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Hi Sidney, welcome aboard. Starting with a trailer boat is a good idea. Telling us your location will get a more focused response. Be careful at work (I just retired), have fun on the water.
Old 07-02-2010
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Hi WanderingStar,

I'm in north Louisiana. Not generally what one thinks of when one thinks of good sailing waters, or so it seems to me - but I'm about 20 minutes away from Toledo Bend Reservoir, which is (I'm told) the fifth largest man-made lake in the United States (between 190K acres or so).

I've seen a few sailboats there, but it seems to me that this lake is under-used by sailors, and I'm actually sort of curious as to why; but that is a subject for another post, that I intend to post shortly.
Old 07-04-2010
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Any lake that's 60 miles long and doesn't have low bridges, should be a fine place to sail.

If the reservoir is at least 10' deep, you could choose any boat which strikes your fancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.