SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hello from Missouri

927 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  2xtiger886 
#1 ·
I guess I'm one of those crazy people who caught the sailing bug while living in a landlocked state.

I grew up sailing on Mark Twain Lake on an Hunter 23 and O'day 31. My folks still have the O'day and I try to visit their boat as often as possible. After spending a couple years hiatus from sailing (going to school, working 2 jobs, etc.) I've built up a desire to have a boat all my own. I've already starting setting money aside, and I've spent the last 2 months looking at classifieds and the last week or so trolling through the Sailnet forums.

I'm looking for a 22-25 footer on which to spend most weekends. The absolute pure "joy of sailing fast" little voice in my head wants a J22. Don't know yet if the more practical little voice will win yet. (yes, I hear voices, I mentioned earlier that I was crazy)

Spending a lot of time at the lake growing up, I've seen a lot of Catalinas, Hunters, and MacGregors that would do me fine, but I seem to be drawn to things a little different. Two boats I've found on the classified recently that caught my eye were a North American Spirit 23 and a C&C 24. I was hoping the accumulated wisdom of the Sailnet forum would be able to suggest other interesting possibilities. There's a book that I've seen Sailing Dog suggest to multiple folks looking for boats under 27'. It's already on order.

It's great to see the stories from folks who are living the life I'd imagine for myself in a decade or so. Thank you in advance for all the help all y'all are going to provide.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you looked at the dealers down in Stockton Mo. Thats Missouri's sailing capital. Neither dealer has much of a web search friendly site. I think they both just post their boat's on their own site and dont use the yachtworld's or boatcrazy etc. If you didnt know they were there you wouldnt know to look for them. I sail down on tablerock and finding sailboats in Missouri is kinda tough. I have a Santana 20 which is very similar to the J22. Great for sailing, not so great for sleeping, trailering etc. It was a good choice for the type of sailing I do. Light winds, minimal amount of overnighting.

I havent heard of the spirit but C&C boats have a good reputation.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Just a quick glance shows quite a few 30ish footers. I might just have to take a drive down there to go see and get a feel for what boats are down there

#6 ·
I don't remember ever hearing about a Sunbeam Tiger before you mentioned it. I've just got it in there because the mascot of both schools I've attended are the tigers. A little research on wikipedia can go a long way. That is a nice looking car. 886 is the sail number for my CR914 model racing boat. Only 3 foot long, but it's a good sailing fix for the middle of the week

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.