SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New member from Tacoma, WA (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/66204-new-member-tacoma-wa.html)

mnanfito 07-05-2010 06:47 PM

New member from Tacoma, WA

hi all,

I'm still relatively new to sailing and am hoping to learn from the collective wisdom here. I recently purchased Aotea, a 1990 Pacific Seacraft Dana 24. One of the things that is new to me with this boat is roller furling. It comes with a Harken Unit 0 roller furling system. I've read the specs but cannot exactly tell from them if it is possible to lower the sail (once unfurled) in order to inspect and maintain the halyard swivel. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Michael Nanfito
Tacoma, WA

smackdaddy 07-07-2010 09:25 AM

Hey mn - welcome to SN dude. Lot's of PNW sailors around here.

jackdale 07-07-2010 10:31 AM

Once the sail is unfurled, you can ease the halyard and pull the sail down and out of the foil.

Jack

sailingdog 07-07-2010 10:47 AM

However, IIRC, the only maintenance the Harken units require is being rinsed occasionally with fresh water.

dhays 07-10-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 620212)
However, IIRC, the only maintenance the Harken units require is being rinsed occasionally with fresh water.

On the Harken furler on my 36, they call for period rinsing with soapy water, followed by fresh water. However, as the top swivel is away from dust and dirt, the normal rain we have hear does a pretty job of rinsing the top swivel. If it isn't hanging up, I'd leave it alone.

Dave

mnanfito 07-11-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 621288)
On the Harken furler on my 36, they call for period rinsing with soapy water, followed by fresh water. However, as the top swivel is away from dust and dirt, the normal rain we have hear does a pretty job of rinsing the top swivel. If it isn't hanging up, I'd leave it alone.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

was out on Commencement Bay yesterday and no problems at all. Will leave it for now as you suggest.

MN

djodenda 07-11-2010 09:16 PM

So.. you got Aotea..

Out of Edmonds, right?

Nice boat!

Congratulations, and welcome to Sailnet!

David

mnanfito 07-11-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djodenda (Post 621554)
So.. you got Aotea..

Out of Edmonds, right?

Nice boat!

Congratulations, and welcome to Sailnet!

David

Hi David,

yes, we purchased Aotea in April. I understand she was in Edmonds (we worked with Seacraft on Lake Union to purchase her).

--Michael

djodenda 07-12-2010 07:30 AM

Cool. Nice boat. I talked my way onboard once.

Well taken care of when she was in our marina. Owned by a nice older couple who never seemed to sail her much.

Sail her well!

David