Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010

Coolmobility is on a distinguished road
Newbie from Melbourne Australia

Hi there from 'down under'.

I'm a member or Royal Yacht Club of Victoria and have a Holland 25 (IOR Quarter Tonner) that my wife and I have been renovating to be somewhat wheelchair accessible for me as I'm a quadrriplegic.

I've competed in State, Australian and Worlds competition in single person Liberty yachts, with some success and now am involved with the IFDS Technical Committee. IFDS control disabled sailing comps under ISAF.

Interested in networking with people involved in disabled keelboat sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I sell V-Lock units in Australia, New Zealand & S E Asia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2010
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet Colin!

I am up in Sydney and we have a Supersonic 27.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 07-11-2010

Hi, I'm sure there are lots of Aussies on here too. I'm wanting to get back into Club racing and a bit of gentle Bay cruising with my wife, nothing serious just fun.

Old 07-11-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmobility View Post
Hi, I'm sure there are lots of Aussies on here too. I'm wanting to get back into Club racing and a bit of gentle Bay cruising with my wife, nothing serious just fun.

Welcome to the site. We're in Sydney. Sail a 34' steel sloop, cruisers.

I'll be very interested to follow your blog. Mate of ours is paraplegic, has a great love of water but unsurprisingly, mobility is a problem in getting her on or off a small sailboat that lives on a mooring. Of course the average sailboat cockpit is hardly well set up for a wheelchair.

Yes it is feasible to lift someone onto a boat with halyard and sling but the chair is not going to fit and then the issue of staying in place when sitting to windward comes in. The mods you are doing to Mystique are obviously way beyond anthing we'd do to our old girl when our friend might only come sailing once or twice a year. She's an author and public speaker, leads a very busy life indeed so not available to go for a sail all that often.

I'm actually thinking that your V-Lock thingy could be made to accomodate what would be in effect a seat belt for a removeable seat and back support. . Meaning a solid frame with seat and back that sits on a cockpit seat but locks into place to prevent sliding. Interesting thought.

Nice bit of kit btw.

Rgds

Andrew.

(see my pm re sig file)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-11-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet, Colin! You might be surprised how many Aussies there are here - you are certainly not alone.

I don't post here much any more (I spend most of my time on Anything-Sailing) but I'm also a relatively new member of Royal Vic and do the Classics and Twilights on a regular basis. It's such a big Club, I've probably seen you there at some stage but never had the chance to say hello - I'll look out for you from now on! .
Old 07-11-2010

Big network, small world. I'm one of the wheelchair users at RYCV and I'm the one with the snazzy carbon fibre three spoke black wheels, Michael (the other main wheelie) has traditionally spoked wheels.
Cheers

Last edited by Coolmobility; 07-13-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Big network, small world. I'm one of the wheelchair users at RYCV and I'm the one with the snazzy carbon fibre three spoke black wheels, Michael has traditionally spoked wheels.
Cheers
Cool.. that should make you easy to spot!! I'll keep an eye out for you.

Enjoy your stay on Sailnet.. but watch out for the Dog - he bites.
Old 07-11-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey coolmo - welcome to SN dude.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-11-2010

Hi Smackdaddy

I read your BFS stuff yesterday. Great stories, true and tall. I enjoyed taking my old 16' single seat Liberty dinghy out in big blows as I loved to really get the feel of the wind and water. Didn't like the sandblasting efect of the spray though but always came back wet and with a smile on my face!

Old 07-11-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Hi Smackdaddy

I read your BFS stuff yesterday. Great stories, true and tall. I enjoyed taking my old 16' single seat Liberty dinghy out in big blows as I loved to really get the feel of the wind and water. Didn't like the sandblasting efect of the spray though but always came back wet and with a smile on my face!
Sweet. Since you're into racing, join in the Global Regatta with us. It's underground yacht racing at it's finest.

HERE'S THE INFO

AUS needs a course man! Send me the coords for one in Victoria and let's race!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.