Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010
Keelhauled again...

darknetone is on a distinguished road
Talking Ahoy maties!

Ahoy all! I find my self taking on a new adventure but an old dream I want to live aboard. I have some experience with sailing, ok actually a reasonable amount but as a teen. As an adult I taught a friend how to sail his 19' catamaran. And have spent a lot of time in and around all kinda of floatie objects, with a strong preference to sheet power kind..

I am looking to live aboard and sail on weekends. My house is currently on the market and I hoping for a sell really soon so I can get things rolling.

Some questions; (if it is ok to ask here)

Do lenders and insurers care if I have an ASA 101 or better certification? I would like to buy my boat and move on it and then take the ASA courses 101, 103, 104 and others...

I have been looking for live aboard slips and have identified a few marinas, I will visit them this weekend to get a feel for my first, second and third choices are before actually buying a boat.

If you're curious my shopping list consist of a range of years, mostly stuff from the mid 1990's to current as price/value allows in the 40-50' range. I have been looking at various models from these manufactures Bavaria, Beneteau, Hunter, or Jeanneau.

Moving aboard,... less is more; something I have practiced all my life.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I don't think the lender will care, I believe the insurer will. My insurance application asked me for a resume. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-13-2010
Keelhauled again...

Thanks, yeah I am trying to get on the boat as soon as my house sells or as soon as possible. I really don't end up having to have an interim rental while I get my certs. But I suspect that the lender will want me to have insurance and insurance will want to see at least some ASA certifications. Hmmm...I need to squeeze a couple of certification courses in I guess. I also need to get insurance lined up anyway so maybe I should ask them some questions about this.
Old 07-13-2010

sailorthom is on a distinguished road
Get to know the dockmaster as he, or she will make your liveaboard experience a true pleasure or living hell. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2010
Keelhauled again...

Thanks, good advice!