Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010
Ensign

jhorus is on a distinguished road
Hello from Lawrence, KS

Newbie here, hailing from Lawrence, KS (go Jayhawks!)

I will apologize up front if I dig up old threads if they haven't been answered by newer ones, but I'm in the process of looking for a boat for my family and I, and I stumbled across these forums. So please be nice if I trip and fall.

My background: I'm almost a complete newbie to sailing. My sailing history happened in the summer of 1989. I had stumbled on a 1 or 2 person boat at a lake we vacation at the year prior, and told myself that if it was there the following year, I would sail it! So I spent that winter reading my grandparents encyclopedias, reading everything I could find about sailing. It was surprisingly helpful. Come that next summer, the boat was still there, so I fumbled with the rigging and got it up and going; then using my memorized sailing theory, I actually had fun and didn't kill myself, and got back to the cabin!

Fast forward 20 years, I'm nearly 40 and looking for a boat. I am (was??) mainly interested in power boats, and even have my eye set on a Yamaha jetboat, but then I discovered the MacGregor 26. I know some of y'all might be frowning at me now, but I just love the idea of being able to hammer down on the 60 or 70hp (whatever the max is), and then later slowing down with the wind and taking a leisurely, gas-free cruise.

There are other reasons, too, and I honestly thought that sailing (with a boat that has a cabin) was reserved for rich retired folks, and not a "common" person like myself, so it was out of the realm of possibility for me, so I just up and ignored it until now.

Anyway, I'll go lurk in some forums now and try to glean as much information as I can.... my wife says "no new boat for at least 3 years"... so that will give me plenty of time to do my research and figure out what's best for me and my family.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey jhor - welcome to SN dude.

There's tons of info on here - as well as many, many salts that will talk you through just about anything.

While you're waiting for some responses you can start poking around in this thread: The Salt's Corner Table

It's a thread with some of the best info to some of the most asked questions around here - including yours. And you can see who some of the go-to guys are.

Enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-04-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Welcome

Good to see a neighbor, or at least former neighbor as I grew up in Oklahoma but now call the Pacific Northwest home.

No, sailing isn't for rich, retired folks. There are lots of Catalinas and other production boats out there for reasonable prices (less than $10K) that are excellent starter boats. Go get one and get on the water!

BTW I'm one of those that frowned at the appropriate cue in your post.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 08-04-2010

SabrinaKS is on a distinguished road
Welcome neighbor - Go Wildcats! We sail out of Lake Perry KS and Brunswick GA. Have you stopped by Kansas City Sailing in Lawrence? GREAT resource for all things sailing....besides Sailnet that is.
The sailors on Lake Perry are also a great resource - the Yacht Club as well as the other two marinas. There is a women's sailing group out of the Lake Perry Yacht Club that has been co-sponsoring (along with Kansas City Sailing) free Women's only Sailing seminars each month the last two winters. All level of women meet at Kansas City Sailing to learn about sailing. Good stuff. Your wife might enjoy those. I know of a few good sailboats for sale on Lake Perry. Feel free to email me if you want more info.

~~_/)~~_/)~~
Sabrina
s/v Honey Ryder Caliber 40
s/v Riot MacVay Minuet 19
Lake Perry KS and Brunswick GA