Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010

jim7289 is on a distinguished road
HELP, need install parts for Simrad Tiller Pilot

I have a Simrad TP10 autotiller. I purchased it used. I need the brackets that will allow me to install the tiller on my boat. There are various brackets that are used to install on different boat configurations. I have checked the Simrad site and several other sources....no luck. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2010

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i have to wonder,how is it that someone has the unit its self [easy to grab quickly]but not the mounting hardware,if you buy such things you encourage theft, next time it may be you!
Old 07-26-2010

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I have the same autotiller and I rigged up something of wood that works well while I wait for something better other than a bracket that I need to install permanently. Not sure if it will help or not... it works great and I've been thinking to drill a couple of large holes in to fit coffee cups actually!

The Periwinkle Catboat and Stargazer Blog: Autotiller for Stargazer
Old 07-26-2010

to sawingknots: i appreciate your interest......but.......i received the unit from an owner who moved up to a wheel.....i DID receive hardware .......but it was for HIS boat.......mine is different....AND no I dont encourage theft...if you dont have a solution to my problem pls. dont reply....

To grameincanada: thanks for your helpful reply. Your solution looks good for your boat. I think I will have to make a custom bracket for my boat. I found a co. on line that has some brackets but had no pics on their post. I ask them to email pics of the parts...still waiting....
Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-27-2010

this is an open forum,i can reply to any post i see fit,i was just pointing out what was the most likely scenario for an orphan boat component,i'm sorry if i offended you or implied that you are a thief[somewhere there's a quest remote spotlight that's missing its wiring and control panel]
Old 07-27-2010

btw,tillerpilots are bought with standard mounting brackets not brackets for this boat and different brackets for another,you should be able to use the old brackets with only a slight modification
Old 07-27-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Jim:

I too found it hard to find parts for a TP10. Fortunately, I was just looking for the pin that is epoxied into the tiller. FYI, you can use the pins for the Raymarine brand of tiller pilots, which are more readily available.
Old 07-27-2010

Plumbean, my unit came with the pin. The previous owner had a bracket that allowed the tiller pilot to mount BELOW the tiller. My tiller is much higher than the seat. I need the bracket that Simrad refers to as the 'pedistal'......or maybe one of the extensions that they show on the orig. box that the previous owner sent.
I may end up having something custom made, but will continue looking for the OEM stuff. I will try Raymarine also
Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-27-2010

Sawingknots: my, used, autotiller came with the original box supplied by the owner.
The box shows six different brackets that can be used for 'flexible installations' (manufacturers words)....so it is obvious that each boat is unique and the T.P. must be fitted accordingly....
Old 07-27-2010

i was't aware that a under the tiller cantilever bracket was available,when i bought my tillerpilot [raymarine st2000] i had the same proplem,my tiller handle being too high for the seat,i theorized that a long bracket under the handle might have too much leverage against the mounting point so i opted to build a pedestal up from the seat.what i used was a lifeline stantion base and a short length of stainless tubing to bring the seat mount level to the conventional pin on top of the handle,i made a plug out of nylon and pressed[drove]it into the end of the hollow tube then drilled the correct sized hole for the auto pilot pin.it has worked well for several years,i wish i had a pix but my boat is some distance away