Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010

FWBurr is on a distinguished road
Hello from the "dark side"

Greetings all - several years ago, my wife and I decided, in view of surgeries on my hands and her back issue, to go over to the "dark side," and sold our IP 38, and bought a trawler (Beneteau Swift Trawler 42). Then, I retired and we moved from upstate NY to KY (Louisville area). Our boat is still in Sackets Harbor, NY - however, a 6-hour drive to the Cleveland area seems a lot better than a 14-hour drive to Sackets Harbor. Two questions - is the Erie Canal or the Welland Canal the better way to move the boat to Lake Erie, and are there any marinas anyone could recommend in the Cleveland area? Any other comments regarding cruising grounds, prevailing weather, etc. would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Former sailors,

Fred and Donna Burr
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2010

mooregm5 is on a distinguished road
From Sackets Harbor you have a few options. I guess it would depend on if this a trip you want to do at below wake speeds or not...how much time do you have? My understanding of your "trawler" is that it really is a semi-planing powerboat.

The Ontario Route could take on you either along the north shore, south shore, or a little of both with a crossing. This would be faster, especially if you travel above no-wake speed and get good weather.

The Oswego Canal and Erie Canal route would be quite different. You would be at 7 knots nearly the whole way. Distance is a bit further, but not by much. The advantage here is it is a different type of trip. This is supposed to be a slow, relaxing trip, where you stop at nearly every town along the way. Most have free walls with power and water. The western Erie Canal towns were built around the canal, and still largely are today. This means you get to dock "downtown" every night.

Another consideration...the Welland Canal requires 3 people on board. If you have two, you would have to hire someone for the canal trip. The Oswego/Erie Canals have no such requirement, but with your boat I would say two is a minimum and common. The lake can be unforgiving some days, even with your boat, as I'm sure you know, so make sure you plan for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Aboard FW

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.