Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
New Blood, Old Dreams

Heydi-Ho folks.

I've been lurking the site for some time, but only registered today.

I am a father of 4(!!) who has dreamed of sailing since his old Navy days. (Ironically, land-based patrol planes and a full career with no sea time. Go figure)

I took a few lessons, gee 20 years ago? But sailing a sunfish around the protected lagoon of Diego Garcia at 20yo is a far cry from the rocky coast of Maine at 41!

So here I am, 20 years later, finally with the resources to begin sailing, and shopping for my first boat. I have loads of questions, and a few goals.

First, I'm planning on taking the first ASA course I can next season. September is a little late in the season to start up here.

After that, then what? I'll be shopping for a boat, yes. None of my friends are sailors, can't really ask to crew for them (or I'd have done so long before now). I suppose I could try renting now and then? There is a rental company on Sebago lake a couple hours away. This is where the plan gets fuzzy.

For a boat to own, I'm not entirely certain what to look for yet. It needs to be first-timer friendly. But I do have a large family, only 1 of which would be willing/able to help crew (my 13yo son). So it also needs to be manageable by a crew of 1-2. "The Dream" is something that could manage long weekends tooling around the Maine coast between Portland and Downeast (say the Rockland/Camden area). So small enough for my son and I to handle, large enough to carry the whole family for a day, or a few of us for a weekend.

I'm almost leaning to something in the 28-30ft range, but that seems like it might be a bit much to handle, especially considering the inexperience?

Anyway, I'm here. I'm lurking, I'm learning, and most definitely I'm Dreaming.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey dmc - welcome to SN dude. You'll like the place.

There's tons of info on here - as well as many, many salts that will talk you through just about anything.

While you're waiting for some responses you can start poking around in this thread: The Salt's Corner Table

It's a thread with some of the best info to some of the most asked questions around here - including yours. And you can see who some of the go-to guys are.

Enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook