SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hopefully not biting off more than he can chew!

971 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  optikul81 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok first of all.. my name is Chris and I am stationed at the Bangor Sub Base near Silverdale, Washington. I know as you read the following you are probably going to have one of those thoughts "Are you crazy!?" but you'll have to read the whole thing to understand ( I hope.. or I really am crazy! )

Ok first of all, I have a lot of experience sailing when I was younger. My Dad owned a small hunter sailboat ( I dont remember the exact size but it was small enough to fit on a trailer ). We used to do over night trips to Sucia Island from our homeport of Blaine, WA. Fast forward and now i'm living in Silverdale, WA currently serving in the Navy. Which by the way doesn't make me a pro at sailing. However my job in the Navy is navigation so in that respect i'm pretty good :D

The situation.. how to start. I am actually serving a 12 month tour in Iraq. And I live in a small two person room called a CHU (aka trailer divided into rooms). I am SOO ready to have my own place when I get back to the states but don't have the money to buy a house and renting right now just seems like a waste of money. So I started looking into liveaboard vessels when I came across a 1971 Coronado 35.

The price was right at less than $4k so I kind of know that i'm getting myself into a big project. The kicker? I purchased the boat off ebay without actually looking at it. This is the part where you're starting to think "You are crazy". Well I prefer to pay with cash ( or paypal ) and not lease so I own it outright which limited the options on boats big enough to live aboard but not too big for the budget. I saw the pictures of the boat and the hull looked to be in pretty good shape for it's age. This is mainly going to be a liveaboard but in the summer time i'd like to take it out for the weekend up to sucia island or some other destination. Well it currently is sitting on the hard and so I called the shop owner and asked him a bunch of questions and he basicly said the same thing as the seller. So I am pretty confident i'll have a good starting point.

The interior and some of the electrical will have to be redone. As I am an ET in the Navy I feel pretty confident in my ability to do that plus all the books i've ordered such as the 12v bible..I will try to post some pictures once my post count is sufficient to allow such postings. It's going to be a project and thats what I like about it.. plus it'll be my own waterfront condo!

Ok.. now you can start the flames!

"Best Marine is a Submarine"

See less See more
#3 ·
First, welcome to SN. It's a great place to hang out and you'll learn TONS.

As for whether or not you're crazy...dude, you're crazy! But hell, you're already living in half a trailer - so how bad can a basket-case Cornado on the hard be?

Are you going to be living on it while you're working? Or will you have a place to crash away from the dust?

There are several dudes around here that have done or are doing the same thing you're jumping into.

Enjoy it.

#4 ·
I've actually been perusing these boards for the last couple weeks looking for information. I found some must have readings on one of the threads and purchased them right away so i'll have it when I get back stateside. The plan is to do what I can out of the water in somewhat of a rushed fashion. Once it's in the water i'll work on the interior. I figure i'll start from bow slowly making my way aft refinishing the wood work, updating the interior etc.. all while living on it. That was the requirement...

#6 ·
This is too wierd.

Two submarine ET's, who've both lived in Silverdale, who both own old Coronado sailboats. Only difference is mine's a '69 25 footer.

Sailingdog has a boat buyer's checklist around here somewhere. Although you've already pulled the trigger, still use his checklist to find any glaring problems with the boat.

See if you can find a surveyor or someone who will lend you a moisture meter to check for waterlogged spots on the deck that might need re-coring. The good news is, the hull should NOT be cored, it'll be solid GRP, just like a boomer's sonar dome. :D

Next critical items to check are the engine (as mentioned), seacocks and thru-hulls, shaft log and packing, cutlass bearing, the rudder bearing, steering system (cables or whatever you have), electrical systems, standing rigging and chainplates, then your running rigging, check the keelbolts in the bilge, check the keel mating surface to the hull for any separation...

C'mon man, you're a bubblehead. You know how ships are built. Keep the water outside, and prioritize from there.

Good to see you man.

#7 ·
Keep the water outside huh.. I guess I never understood that part.. that's why i'm a bubble head! :D

Thanks for the tips. I actually have sailingdog's checklist printed out with some notes. I plan to do a thorough check when I get home so I can make a plan of attack for this thing to get her in the water. I know.. i'm nuking it but oh well..

That is too funny with us both having coronado's :D Thank's for the coring info.. i was wondering about that.

"Best Marine is a Submarine!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.