Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
New Member-

Hello to the the sailing community.
I am going by the name of RedtheBear because thats what my wife calls me. I was once redheaded, but now its mostly white, and she, my wife, says I growl and grunt more than I speak. I don't think so but that's just my opinion.
I have been sailing small craft since before JFK was elected. I started crewing in Comets, Highlanders, and Thisels at local boat clubs. In the military I got to crew and then captain International 14's in Germany. A stint on the West coast introduced me to Hobie Cats and after a tour at the southeast asia war games I bought a Hobie 16 of my own and took it back to Florida. I found that beach sailing was fun but cruising was more my speed and after rigging two pieces of 10" PVC pipe with endcaps to the cross beams I went coastal. Trips around the Gulf Coast totaly hooked me that the sailing world was the way to go.
When my wife and I were dating we would go with a friend of mine on his Vanguard 35, an MORC racer that he and sometimes I, had converted to a fantastic two couple cruser. It seems that we could always find three day weekends or holidays to go south to the Keys, Bahamas, and even once to PR. Life was a cold beer, fresh lobster fine.
When my job in Florida ended we moved to south Alabama and the Hobie 16became my boat again and the kids crewed with me until they were grown and gone. Then I learned that a Hobie is a young persons boat and a single handing 50 year old does not belong out there and my wife's idea of fun was no longer a flying hull in a double trapize. So much for the Hobie.
After several partnerships in various Catalina's, a South Coast and a Tanzer I gave up on partnerships and traded the Hobie for a Venture 21. They were both in the same shape, neglected and sad, but I could single hand her and she gave me something to do and dream again.
Now I'm 69 and will be retiring, if I can, soon and the Gulf Coast is calling to me in it's soft cooing song, come to me, come to me.
I am fairly sure that I will never go around the world, or even across the Atlantic, but there are thousands and thousands of miles of coast and near by islands to see and besides that 'it's the trip, not the destanation'.
If my spelling offends some, I sorry; if my computer skills and maners are wrong, please over look and correct me. Its a very different world to me but I am willing to try to learn. I guess that why I love sailing so. The boats, the materials, the tecknowledgy have changed but we're still trying to hold the leafy branch so that the log will go where we want.

Redthe Bear
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to the board. You'll find plenty to read and lots to discuss. Enjoy.

td

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-16-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Welcome... btw do bears and wombats get along?? - I don't suppose they've often actually met

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-19-2010

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
Supposedly, according to my mother, I have meet a wombat in 1941 in Queensland before we left back to the states from the PI. We went to the zoo and I saw 'roo's, and wombats, and koala's but I do not really remember.
But being a fuzzy 'criter too I figure we would get along fine as long as you didn't mind my snoring for months at a time.

'its the trip,
not the destination'
Old 09-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey red - welcome to SN dude. Good to have ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-19-2010

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. Like you I started out as a very young lad sailing. What with all the years (34 with th Coast Guard) I have sailed and powered and owned a thistle for a while. But the thistle was way too much for my wife and kids. Any way, old sailors never die they just get a little dinghy, which is what I have now.

Hope you get a lot from the forum, and contribute a lot.

My Boating Safety Blog

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!