Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010

Frogpix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Frogpix Send a message via Skype™ to Frogpix
New Owner of WS32, HERON, hull 809

Hi Group,

My name is Steve Waterman. I'm the new owner of the HERON, a Westsail 32. After being browbeat and abused for buying a 'Wetsnail,' I am quite happy with my decision. I'm located in Rockland, Maine and will be keeping the boat here at least during the summer months as I break myself in and learn all the systems and sail configurations. One of the previous owners (former name Kemancha),

(Carter Cordner with his W32 Kemancha, #809, took First Overall in the 1995 Marion-Bermuda Cruising Yacht race, edging out two -time winner Wildflower, a Bristol 40. Kemancha was the smallest boat entered in the fleet of 77 yachts, which ranged up to 54 feet.)

I have no intention of racing, but have inherited a huge sail inventory, some of which my prove useful sailing on Penobscot Bay in light airs. My experience sailing is somewhat limited, but I got my SixPack license on a Westsail 32 while I was in the Navy back just after water was invented. My friend, Rear Admiral Jim Cobb, USN, Ret., taught me some of what I know and signed off my experience on the WS32, for which he was a dealer in Virginia. I had intended to purchase a boat and had one on order, but a child was born before the boat was ready, so I sold my position.

This winter will be spent checking out all systems and making sure all systems are 'go.' I am open for ideas about new equipment and would like suggestions and stories of good and bad experiences with various electronic communications equipment, etc. Be advised I am a hard core Macintosh Computer user and would like to hear from like minded people who have used they machines in applications to navigation, etc.

Steve Waterman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. Salty boat you have. Don't mind the chiding you'll get. I sail an old heavy design also, but I love her!
Old 11-26-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hi Steve, great boat you have. A good friend of ours has one and he loves it.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Welcome aboard. Salty boat you have. Don't mind the chiding you'll get. I sail an old heavy design also, but I love her!
I'm sure I'll get some grief. However, I am used to it in other endeavors.
Thanks, and all the best,

Steve
Old 11-27-2010

kevandraper is on a distinguished road
am about to do the same

Have just put in an offer on a westsail 32 in California, they look to be damn good yachts despite the "westsnail" syndrome. Will be heading from San Francisco to San Diego and the sea of cortez shortly after taking ownership if all goes well and the offer is accepted. I hope for both our sakes we made the right decision !
I think we did
Old 11-27-2010

Another new owner

Hi Kevin,

If you have not already joined Westsail dot org, I recommend it. Also, Bud Taplin, a former production manager for Westsail, I recommend you hook up with his website Westsail dot com. He has the answers for most any questions you might have about spare parts, problems, sources of materials and parts for Westsail boats.

Steve Waterman
Old 11-27-2010

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve, Congrats on acquiring Heron. In Sept. 2007
when former owner Don Lacoste was sailing Heron from Maine to Chesapeake and points south, I arrainged a guest mooring for Heron at our marina (western Long Island Sound) Great boat enjoy! ...and in response
to any harassment/questions of speed...or lack of...below is a account from Don of Heron's run off the New Jersey coast from Sandy Hook to the C and D canal.
Enjoy, Hugo

"In all the trip from Maine to Chesapeake went without a hitch. Good weather and good crew made the difference. Our best run was 30 hours from Atlantic Highlands to the C&D and out to the Sassafras river where we dropped the hook. It was about 215 nm.
There was some "cheating" done on the Delaware River and C&D Canal. I did do some motorsailing to take advantage of currents before the tide changed.

Saying that, the ride along the NJ coast was magnificent with a strong Westerly that was blowing from 15 to 28 knots. We had all sails up and reached at 7.75 knots with occassional bursts up to 8.6 knots.
Two 40 plus sailboats were following us but never caught up and lost ground when winds went over 20 knots.

HERON
Old 06-15-2011

oldvet is on a distinguished road
"Be advised I am a hard core Macintosh Computer user and would like to hear from like minded people who have used they machines in applications to navigation, etc."

Suggest you read about the bums at bumfuzzle.com. They will respond if you have questions.