Boatstruck in Idaho - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
Boatstruck in Idaho

I am new to sailing and to posting in an internet forum, I have crewed a bit for a friend in seattle and have spent a little time around wooden boats, I have recently moved to Idaho (smart move for an aspiring sailor I feel).

My dream is to use my time here in Idaho to build a wooden sailboat capable of offshore cruising and long distance passages.

I have been pouring over various plans and have come up with the idea of starting in on an Amigo 22' offshore pocket cruiser by Glen L Designs.
I am not a shipwright by any means but I do have a working brain and body, patience, as well as time and enough money to steadily chip away at a project of this scale.

I would welcome any feedback from seasoned salts!

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 12-13-2010
You can do it, if you are patient and persistent. Even a 22' boat will take a few years of part time work. I have built some small boats, but bought more. There are forums for boatbuilding, I think Glen-L has one. There are also Woodenboat, and Duckworks. Do a search. There are a few wood boat owners and builders on this forum too. An old adage suggests building the dinghy first, to get an idea how long it takes, and understand the operations.
I look forward to hearing about your progress.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-18-2010
J, As per WanderingStar's advise, I concur. Glen L, I am sure has a lot of small boat kits for a small dinghy called the Cat's Paw or something similar. There are two kits available. Stage 1 would be, precut panels and joinery. The other would consist of full size patterns from which to cut your own panels. The biggest suggestion I have is not to try to outsmart the designer which quite often happens with the beginner sailor/boat builder. Companies like Glen L, Bruce Roberts and many others have countless years of experience in boat building. They want you to enjoy your project and be happy with the results. Let them help you. They are more than glad to answer any questions you may have. Keep it simple. See you on the water.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.