Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011

Caljah is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone and a happy new year

About to begin a complete refit of our 1975 clallenger 35, built by the challenger yacht Corp in wilmington CA. Brought her about 2 years ago. Spent the last couple of years sailing and getting to know the boat, and have decided that this is perfect for our needs. I will post pictures later today, boat is in very good original condition. We sail mostly around the Chesapeake and planning on a month cruise next summer up to Maine and back. Our goal and dream (like everyone else) is to keep extending our time and distance. No rush, but we have a lot we want to see. It's a big world out there. My question is what can you tell me about the challenger 35? I have spent the past two years reading anything and everything I can find on challengers. Assuming our refit is extensive, other than our sailing skills, (which we will keep improving), what are the limitations to the challenger 35.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Hello and welcome. I'm not familiar with your boat, but you seem to be following a practical path of improving your skills and your vessel. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 01-04-2011

Caljah is on a distinguished road
Thanks wandering star, I see you live out on the island. We live in westchester and work in the city. Just got back from my 104 and looking foward to my 105/106 in march. Planning our first long trip this summer. We have the whole month of august. Thinking of heading to Maine, via the cape. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Old 01-05-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I've only done a little sail cruising outside of the LI Sound, and one delivery from Florida. There are plenty of good harbors on both sides of the Sound. I read Duncan's Cruising Guide to New England, even though much of it is out of date. I also registered with Active Captain, and find it helpful. Don't sail too hard, or stick to a tight schedule. Leave time to enjoy the towns and harbors. Watch the currents where warned, it can be scary in Hell Gate and Plum Gut, hard to stem in Fisher's Island Sound and Cape Cod Canal. Message me if you stop in Port Jefferson or Mount Sinai, I'll buy you a drink. If you post specific questions or request cruising advice in the General Sailing part of this forum, you'll find plenty of experience. You might also find answers in Destinations.

Last edited by WanderingStar; 01-05-2011 at 06:50 AM.