SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   On my way to being a real sailor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/71179-my-way-being-real-sailor.html)

WorldMotography 01-09-2011 02:13 AM

On my way to being a real sailor

Hello to All,

I have only spent a week on a sailboat. And I don't own a boat. Yet still I am on my way to joining live aboard community.

I have spent a bunch of time away from 'real life.' (No, I was not in prison.) I spent a couple years (on&off) living and travelling on my motorcycle. Yes, you can downsize enough to fit your life on a motorcycle. I figure moving onto a massive 32' boat will be a great change. And another great way to see the world.

I work construction. It pays well and gives me time off. 1 month on 1 month off kind of work. Sometimes 3 months on and then the contract ends. This work is far away from any marina though. I figure this type of schedule will fit in nicely with the sailing/live aboard world.

I acquired my pilots license when I was 17, picked up my class 1 license just out of college and damn it, I can learn to sail too. I have my canadian boaters license (which means I know to bring a flash light with me and wear a PFD) but more importantly I also have a VHF license. And I can tie about 20 knots. I can also fix houses, motorcycles, engines and anything else that you can hit with a hammer. I can also be very 'frugal.' I figure I am close to being a sailor now :D . I just don't know how to sail.

Of course I have been reading the posts here, but please feel free to remind me or enlighten me on anything prudent.

I really like the Hunter Visions. I'll end up with anything decent under 40k though.

Also, I really love my motorcycle. I would love to take her with me. Is that too much to ask?

Suerte,

Jeff

WanderingStar 01-09-2011 09:26 AM

Best to leave the motorcycle ashore, then go back to retrieve it when you reach a new harbor.
I would suggest owning a small boat first and sailing a bit. On the other hand, you sound like a guy who gets right into things. Just bring some fellow sailors along and start out on days with moderate breezes.

WorldMotography 01-09-2011 11:46 AM

I'll be doing a trip or 2 on friends boats first. Planning a trip now from Finland for a week or so. Probably in August.

Depending on where work takes me, I don't even know where I will harbor. I work onshore and offshore. I think my next job is in India, then Canada, back to India, Canada, over to Africa and then I don't know. I'll be flying - so I should be able to find a slip anywhere. Any suggestions on nice warm countries/islands? I spent a lot of time riding bikes around Colombia. Heard anything good about Santa Marta or Barranquilla as far as sailing?

WanderingStar 01-10-2011 09:09 AM

I think there is a World Cruising Forum on yahoo. I've been to Cartagena by sea, but on a steel motor vessel and only for a couple of days.