Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011

SeaMar is on a distinguished road
Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,
while I don't think I'll be posting much, because I haven't my own boat, I'm interested in reading everything here in anticipation for when I have my own liveaboard yacht. I sailed sabots and Flying 11's when I was young, before working aboard cargo ships. For 16 years I've been landbound, raising my children, but always miss the sea.

So I'm resolved to get back out there, adventuring. I'm particularly interested in learning/reading about wooden boats, sailing single handed, and South Pacific sea voyages.

Looking forward to learning!
Cheers,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard, Lisa! May all your dreams come true.

There are a couple of other SailNetters in the Brisbane area. Hope you got through the floods okay??
Old 01-19-2011

Thanks!

Hiya Hartley18,
thanks for the welcome- glad to know there are some Aussies here

Fine with the floods- high and dry in the hills 6km from the CBD. Others not so lucky- 2 cousins lost both their homes and contents. And almost cried watching those yachts sinking in the river.

Sounds like you guys are having your own flood problems in Victoria now- what a summer! Hope it's not so bad there.

I see your boat is an older sloop- not wooden by chance?
Lisa
Old 01-20-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hi and welcome to SN. Glad to hear you came through the floods OK, what a disaster. Several from Oz here, lot's of good info.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-20-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMar View Post
Sounds like you guys are having your own flood problems in Victoria now- what a summer! Hope it's not so bad there.

I see your boat is an older sloop- not wooden by chance?
Lisa
It's a little wet up near the border and there's enough water going down the Yarra to turn the top end of the bay a murky brown - but the dams aren't full. Strange..

Is she wooden?? Yep. Very wooden! Queensland beech planking, oregon mast, blackwood and jarrah interior.
Old 01-26-2011

She sounds lovely! I am beginning from the very beginning regarding wooden boats. There was a great radio doco on Radio National last year about a woman sailing her wooden yacht to a boat builder in Maryborough, Qld, for some work- and it was lovely to hear the way they spoke about their connection with their wooden boats- the boats' movement, sound, as being something completely different from non-wooden materials.

I'm thinking of joining the local wooden boat association that meet monthly, working on repairing wooden craft from vintage canoes to dinghy's or member's projects. Start what might be a long appreneticeship- but hopefully I can learn a great deal about construction, maintenance, etc this way.

Hope your recent sailing trips have been enjoyable ones!
Old 01-26-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Lisa,

Welcome to Sailnet from the other colonies! As far as a boat goes, don't wait, just do it! My youngest was 16 when we started sailing. We should have done it 15 years ago. Be bought the boat and had never sailed before and have been haveing the time of our lives. Our boat is "only" 25 feet and trailerable, so it helps on cost. We do plenty of nearby costal cruising, no farther that 50 miles so far.

So . . . get out there!

Don
Maine, USA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.