Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011

windjammer21 is on a distinguished road
windjammer 21 owner (2)

I have no idea how to set up this thread but I am an owner of 2 Windjammer 21's from California, designed by Morgan Embrogan and built in Southern California back in the late 60's and early 70's by various commercial builders. There were at least 15 built and I have a gaff-rigged, topsail sloop and also a conventional rigged sloop, the first for the Boatshow in Long Beach, California.
These boats surf very well, right up to a sandy beach under full rig. I sailed "William Bligh", gaff-rigged, all around Hawaii with the exception of the Big Island, without a motor for 15 years. I have sailed both boats to all of the Channel Islands, California, with the exception of the "Island of the Blue Dolphin", which I forgot it's name but it started with a N. I think it was all Navy controlled with no beach access and in line with rocket launches from Point Magu. Some of the other Windjammer 21's have been sailed to Hawaii and back from California. There is one in Wisconsin and one is in Florida, owned by a very knowledgeable skipper who was there in the beginning of the design and construction and who actually owns the 1st fiberglassed gaff rigged boat. I have both boats in Virginia now, at Smith Mountain Lake (the Lake Tahoe of the East) waiting to take the gaffer to France and the canals. Both boats have very easily folded masts, even under sail, fit into US containers (24) but only into Europe's 40' containers, not the 20's. I came to Virginia with a Welsh wife and my 2 year old daughter, Leilani, on our way to Maine 15 years ago to sail across the Atlantic from as close as I could get in Nova Scotia to Europe. After sailing Maine, we came back to Virginia to winter out and have been here ever since raising my son Keoni and my daugher. I have just retired from teaching and I am in the downsizing mode in order to continue the quest. The Windjammer 21 will sleep 4 in separate bunks and is very confortable under way and in the slip. With quadrant centerboard up it draw 18 inches and weight empty is 2500#. It has always been great in the Channel Islands because it cuts over the kelp and because it is so light we used to tie off to the kelp (don't shoot me) to keep from carrying 600' feet of line and extra chain necessary to normal anchor around the islands. Anywho, there it is. If I have down this right, maybe someone will let me know! By the way, I sailed in 1974, a Columbia 24, Mark 1, to Hawaii after college (28 days) and didn't come back for 20 years. Another great boat, but really as a round the world blue water sailboat. Standing headroom, 4500#, 3/4 keel with attached rudder, kinda of pilot house, heavy fiberglass hull construction (3/8) with lead pored in a 4' draft keel. Alright, I am finished.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook