Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by datapolo View Post
Are most of the boats in Australia in use?
Ahh.. Nope. With berthing prices the way they are AND a +2-year waiting list in most places, do you really think someone with a berth could afford to give it up just because they discovered golf??

Mooring-minders are a common sight and being dealt with as best as the authorities can.. but there is certainly a shortage of quality boats.

Methinks an import business might do quite nicely - so long as you have someplace to park the goods when they turn up...
Old 03-31-2011

datapolo is on a distinguished road
Golf? - pah! Spoils a good walk!

Import business - something to consider then ;-)

Thanks for the info - seems sailing is for the elite in Australia but in the UK with a bit of dedication working class people can and do go sailing. There are a lot of affordable yachts - a nice 1980 Westerly 26' can be bought for around GBP10,000, a 1980 UFO27 for a similar price or less with pontoon berths available for less than GBP200 a month. So entry into the sport might just require buying a cheaper car and drinking a bit less and you are covered.

Are there any restrictions in who can sail in Australia? Is it compulsory to have a certificate to skipper a yacht?
Cheers,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Datapolo, none of us who have sailed overseas are saying that Australia is "the best place in the world" or anything like that. Some of our sailing venues are amazing, but we simply don't have the extensive navigable coastline of, say, Europe or the USA.

Quote:
Are there any restrictions in who can sail in Australia? Is it compulsory to have a certificate to skipper a yacht?
No and no - although in a few states you must have a boat license. Over here, anyone can sail so long as they can handle the weather eg. At the bottom end of the country a Sea Survival course is recommended if you think you can make it past The Rip into the Roaring Forties..
Old 03-31-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ilenart,
thanks for your swift response - its appreciated!

Yeah, I thought about a new thread but I obviously needed to target someone that might be subscribed to a thread and might get a notification - it seems to have worked anyway and thanks again!

I just can't believe how expensive sailing is in Perth and I thought we were hard done by in Europe! At the moment I pay about GBP3,000 ($4,800) a year for the 33' boat on a serviced, pontoon berth in a secure marina in Liverpool City Centre. The ketch is on a swinging mooring in Mallorca and that's Eur2,400 a year. So a lot cheaper. I also had a look at boat prices in Perth and it seems that they are maybe 2x or 3x what we pay in the UK for say a 1980's model.

All in all it looks pretty depressing! My agent sent me an email today telling me how great it is in Perth but its not looking good from a sailing point of view!

Seems I may be staying in Angola!

Cheers and many thanks,
Mike
Your welcome. Hartley's right, Oz is an expensive place for yachties. Bit weired when you think of all the thousand's of miles of coastline we have. Ahh well.
Old 03-31-2011

I think it's more than odd - its bizarre! Seems Oz in general is expensive which surprises me no end but maybe I was just being naive.

Is the cruising around Perth interesting? Weather predictable?
Old 03-31-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:

P'raps you should fly over and see for yourself.
Old 04-01-2011

Yeah that would be the best Hartley but I am in Angola,don't get any leave until May, and they want me there by the end of May after a 6 week visa process!
Old 04-02-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sailing in the Swan river is pretty good. However its mainly for afternoon racing, for cruising you would get bored after a week. Rottnest Island (12NM of the coast) is also good / excellent, however it is bloody crowded every holidays / long weekend.

Apart from that options get fairly limited. Another big hassle is the Seabreeze (known locallly as the Fremantle Doctor) often results in medium to strong (18-25kt) SW winds, which makes heading south into a headwind farily difficult.

However on the plus side the weather is warm to hot (think it is often described as southern Mediterranean), which means you can go sailing 9 months of the year and still wear shorts and teeshirt.

I think a big part of the cost is strong demand (driven by lots of wealthy people making money in the mining boom wanting to buy big stinkboats) and the State govt not approving / providing enough marina facilities. Hence the cost keeps going up and up. There is a marina currently being built near me that took 15 years to approve and I believe it will provide 250-300 pens. Double or triple this number would be required to satisfy demand and keep prices at a reasonable level.

Ilenart
Old 04-02-2011

Ilenart/Hartley, thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated. I think I am going to stay where I am. I think without visiting and getting a feel for the place it would be a dangerous decision. I recent read an article on property prices in Perth and that just about killed it off for me!

Again thanks very much and happy (and more affordable) sailing!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.