SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hello from NYC!

797 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MylesK 
#1 ·
Ahoy fellow sailors! Would love to get to know you. I'm new to SailNet.

My home port is New York City. I'm a member of Sailtime, and regularly sail on the Hudson River and down into the bay. Also, quite a bit of sailing in the BVI's (twice a winter) as well as an annual Newport-Block Island weekend.

My wife and I would love to meet other sailing couples. We'd love to cruise the Greek Islands, Seychelles and on. We sail both mono's and cats.

While I'm not into racing, I'd love the opportunity to crew.

Thanks and safe sailing!

Yours by the sea and stone...

#2 ·
Welcome Myles, We sail out of Manhasset Bay (Great Neck, Port washington) on western Long Island Sound
and will be in the water late March. My office overlooks the Hudson River and sometimes get to watch the Hudson River sailors actually sailing backwards (net loss of sog when sailing north into outgoing current).
We do not race but your welcome to come out for some early season sailing. Send me pm for contact info.
Welcome aboard, Hugo

#3 ·
MylesK,

Let me second Hugo's welcome. We'll be sailing again in mid March, out of Glen Cove.

Regards,
Brad

#4 ·
Hi Hugo and Bene,

Thanks for the welcome!

Hugo--I've sailed backwards many a time on the Hudson. It's incredibly disconcerting, especially as the current draws into the docks. Sailing on the lower Hudson is "heads-up" as you have to contend with the ferries, water taxis, mega yachts, cruise ships, pleasure boaters and other sailors not to mention random and at times rather large flotsam!

Looking forward to seeing you both on the water.

Yours by the sea and stone...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.