Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011

mcavacas is on a distinguished road
Hello from Boston

Hello everyone! I've been reading some of the forums for a few weeks now and decided to register for an account today...

I'm a 21 year old marine engineering student in Boston, MA. I'm hoping to eventually work my way up through the merchant marine's ship's engineering ranks while exploring the best ports the sea has to offer. Once I have the money, I plan to buy a nice project sailboat and use my engineering skills to restore it myself, and then sail around and explore my favorite ports.

For now I'm just a sailing enthusiast who grew up sailing sunfish and recently crewed the 134' Schooner the SSV Corwith Cramer from Massachusetts to St. Croix.

If anyone needs crew making an open ocean passage, I would love to come aboard and offer my abilities (you name it and I can do it; if I've not done it before, I'm a quick learner!). My schedule is somewhat restricted because of my life as a student, but given enough notice I would gladly come running!

Otherwise, hello and I look forward to learning more about different makes and models of boats, and meeting some other sailors!

-Mickey
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. Keep an eye on the crew wanted section for opportunities. I brought a URI ocean science major on my delivery from Fl. to NY, he was great crew.
Old 02-19-2011
Chris

Chrisper54 is on a distinguished road
I Envy your freedom

Mickey,
Good luck to you young sailor. I envy your freedom and as I near retirement maybe I'll find an opportunity such as this. I too have been sailing on schooners as volunteer and paid crew. I am sure you are checking with options through ASTA since there are a number of tall ships that are constantly in need of crew. Last summer I had a chance to see the Tall Ship Europa (Pictured Below) out of Holland. She was here on the Great Lakes for the Tallships festivals and headed for Argentina and is currently doing some exploration of the Artic Ocean. She is registered in Holland with a multinational crew. Check out ASTA.org if you haven't done so already.

Fairwinds, Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Boston-p8080282.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011
Chris

Chrisper54 is on a distinguished road
Oops wrong addres

Mickey I gave you the wrong web page - its American Sail Training Association (ASTA).
Best to you! Chris
Old 02-19-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Mickey,

Assuming that you know HOW to sail, and that you would like to experience crewing on other boats, you may want to join the Pelagic Sailing Club. They are a non-profit club in New England.

Check out pelagicsailingclub.org | Dedicated to bringing together competent skippers and competent crew for their mutual sailing benefit!

- Disclosure: I am a member.
Old 02-20-2011

dfny36 is on a distinguished road
Mickey,

Would you mind sharing at which school you are a marine engineering student? Are you happy with your program? Wondering which schools offer a top notch program these days...
Old 02-20-2011

mcavacas is on a distinguished road
wow Chris that's awesome, I had heard about ASTA awhile ago but it must have slipped my mind recently, thanks for the reminder!

eherlihy, thanks for the information, I've applied for a few part-time jobs at a several sailing clubs in the area, and hadn't heard of pelagic, I'll definitely check it out!

dfny36, I'm actually a mechanical engineering student at Northeastern right now, but I'm in the process of deciding which school I'm going to transfer to for marine engineering-Maine or Massachusetts Maritime Academy. From everything I've read, those two schools seem to have the top notch programs, behind the USCG Academy, but of course with the coast guard you have a service obligation after graduation. I do know a couple people who have attended both Maine and Mass Maritime recently, and they all seem to be pleased with their programs. Hope that helps!