SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi from Brisbane (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/72251-hi-brisbane.html)

In2TheBlue 02-22-2011 02:21 AM

Hi from Brisbane

I bet there are a 100 intro posts that all read the same :)

Hi , i'm 39, and recently realised I've been living the wrong dream.

Now actively pursuing the learning path, and like others I'm new to sailing, but not new to boats, weather, swells, tides, sharks, dragging at anchor, navigational errors, running out of water, capsizing or hitting sandbanks at speed :o .

I've been reading with interest the threads of other members who have gone through and scaled back land based life and began to live aboard...talk about addictive reading.

I live in Brisbane, on the east coast of Australia. Not sure how many aussies are on this board, hopefully there are a few that may help with local knoweldge and cruising tips further down the track

anyway - I'll try to refrain from posting stupid questions (for a little while at least) and continue reading up for my first sailing lesson, which is only two weeks away

cheers...Jas

tdw 02-22-2011 02:33 PM

Oh man...if every newb refrained from asking stupid questions where would we be ? The place would be an online ghost town. We feed on your stupid questions, they are our meat and three veg, the grist that powers our mill. :p

Anywho...if you don't ask stupid questions how can we give ever more inane replies ?

Ha...so welcome to SailNet. Please fire away , at will. In reality the natives are quite friendly. :)

In2TheBlue 02-25-2011 04:00 AM

thanks mate, good to get at least 1 welcome :rolleyes:

St Anna 02-25-2011 04:28 AM

Hiya In2the blue,
Welcome to SN
I am in BrisVegas currently ( and most likely will be for a long while)
Keep us posted.

chall03 02-25-2011 04:45 AM

Hey In2theBlue,

Sorry I must admit I missed your intro until now, welcome aboard.
I am another Aussie down in Sydney but don't hold that against me.

Good luck with the dream.

Ilenart 02-25-2011 05:55 AM

Hi Jas,

welcome. There are a few Aussie's lurking around SN.

Ilenart

In2TheBlue 02-25-2011 07:31 PM

thanks for the welcome guys :)

L124C 02-25-2011 08:23 PM

Hi In2TheBlue
I lived in Oz for a while and built the Noosa Heads Sheraton, and a couple of resorts up in Port Douglas. Taught myself to windsurf on Lake Cootharaba. You guys have had a rough year! Have you dried out yet? Ironically, I also spent time in Christchurch NZ, but lets not even go there! Anyway, my boat is currently in Brisbane California (pronounced with a hard A), just South of San Francisco. Welcome! I hope you find the SN forum as useful as I have.

tdw 02-26-2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In2TheBlue (Post 702333)
thanks for the welcome guys :)

See...I told you the natives were friendly...now how about some of them stupid questions.....:p:p

In2TheBlue 02-26-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L124C (Post 702353)
Hi In2TheBlue
I lived in Oz for a while and built the Noosa Heads Sheraton, and a couple of resorts up in Port Douglas. Taught myself to windsurf on Lake Cootharaba. You guys have had a rough year! Have you dried out yet? Ironically, I also spent time in Christchurch NZ, but lets not even go there! Anyway, my boat is currently in Brisbane California (pronounced with a hard A), just South of San Francisco. Welcome! I hope you find the SN forum as useful as I have.

thanks L124C, yep its been a rough couple of months for a lot of folks over this way, but the spirit is strong.