Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011

sheadford is on a distinguished road
Here I go again

Hello all, from chilly and damp Oxford, UK (early spring)

In and out of sailing since my late 20s (gosh that seems like a long time ago!) and looking to start another stint. A brief history, which is a mix of owner, co-owner and crewing, keelers, cats and hobies:
1988ish-1993 - Harbour and bay sailing Port Moresby, PNG
1993-4 - Refitting & cruising, Australia, Solmon Is
1994-5 - Cruising & racing, Australia, PNG, Indonesia
2004 - Delivery, South Africa to UK
2004-7 - Chartering, West Scotland
2008 - Patagonia (for caving expedition)
2009 - Cruising, Bahamas, Florida

Now looking at a rather unusual (and cheap!) proposition - a 31' west system cold mo(u)lded mahogany fin keeler built by C H Fox & Sons, early 70s we think. Few produced and little known means basically it's a wysiwyg. However I have found a local handicap rating for her which rated them similar to better known yachts such as Contest 31, Contessa 32 etc. This surprised me a little as she looks slipperier than that, but if it's true I would be reassured.

A confession - this post is also a thinly disguised attempt to bring my tally up to 5 so that I can pm someone about an Autohelm 4000 ram which according to the seller of this Fox 31 has been, er, 'lost' Okay... I believe you, thousand wouldn't!

The online digital sailing resources have grown enormously since I was last sailing regularly and I am looking forward to taking advantage.

Anyway, the next couple of years hopefully will include a spot of bird research and local cruising around Pembrokshire, South West Wales, then a round Britain exped in 2012 - a long held ambition.

Bit of a rambling post, sorry.

Cheers everyone.

Simon H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Greetings from a slightly brighter Balbriggan, ROI.
Cant help with your ST 4000 issue but can say my ST1000 ram unscrews so it could be the same.
Am thinking of the SW coast of Scotland this summer but all depends on the weather being settled in June. Will head over to the Isle O Mann if not and circumnavigate it instead.

Safe sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.